42/110 driving Castle Severn 2 /87 dB 8ohms

Yes, a NAC42 can use a pre '93 HICAP* as they have a single rail 24V supply on one of the DIN4s as well as a dual rail 24V supply on the DIN5. *Note that only one supply should be used at any one time and that many early HICAPs have had the single rail supply removed during a service, as this can give a performance lift to the dual rail supply output.

So a little update

• 72 arrived and connected into classic Hicap dr and 150x.
  • 180 recently serviced winging its way over from uk
  • Naca5 5m x 2 with Naim terminations on its way over.
    Just sourcing a Hicap olive at the moment.

Initial thoughts on the 72.
Fit and finish - beautiful. I much prefer the olive to the black classic but each to their own.
Sound - much more balanced than the 122x, but wont stay long in current configuration…as only temporary I won’t comment any further on the sound.

Big thanks to each and every one of you. This has been a very enjoyable exercise. I’m going to tinker even more with all the combinations to work out my preference. Likely though it will be Olive all the way and classic separates back together again. Its just whether the Olive is preferred to the SN2 on the big Focal 1028bes…but this is something post house move and with the new build almost complete is rapidly coming around.

That’s good to read. I’ll be interested to hear what the new olive NAP 180 gives you. From what I read here, the NAC seems to have the biggest influence on the sound and you seem pleased with your new NAC72.

Still waiting on the hicap olive. From listening so far the 72/hicapdr/180 presents the music in a sound stage that sits between the Castle speakers which completely disappear (toed in 2.5m apart and listening position 2.5m back). To my ears this has a much tighter grip on notes than the 122x/Hicapdr/ 150x or SN2 and a more organic sound. The Castles sound like completely different speakers with great balance through the bass/mid/high. At this stage I don’t like the ML35xt pairing as there is too much crystalline treble with the ribbon tweeter. I will play a little more before boxing up for the pending house move…based on the ML35xts I suspect the big 1028 bes will also have too much crystalline treble with their beryllium tweeters but we shall see.

1 Like

Hi one and all

The olive Hicap is in place and the 72/Hicap/180 sounds lovely and having been recently recapped will serve well for many more years.

On speaker recommendations I ended up going for an old pair of Spendor S8s connected with nac a5 which I am very happy with. The Castles Severns 2s I will hold onto as to my ears still sound lovely plus it’s good to have a spare pair to play with.

The new build room has a wide 6 stacker doors which opens the kitchen/lounge out onto Mount Glorious (I’m a very lucky boy) so SBLs in the corners of the glass stacker wall wouldn’t have worked. Also no solid walls in this house, all soundproofed plasterboard.

Lots of fun to be had, weeks away now from the move so couldn’t be more excited.

All the best fellow Naimers

Rob D

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.