45RPM 12 inch singles

Just played a 12 inch single of Phil Collins in the air tonight extended mix.
The sound quality blew me away, amazing dynamics.
Does anyone have a favorite 12 inch single that sounds awesome?

2 Likes

Given the faster groove speed and (usually) wider groove spacing, 45rpm 12ā€ vinyls certainly should sound better than 33rpm albums, all other factors being equal.

Iā€™m strictly silver disc only, but there were some fantastic 12ā€ mixes done in the mid/late 80s in particular. Some of my favourites are:

• Word Up (Cameo)
  • Pump Up the Volume (MARRS)
  • Itā€™s a Sin (Pet Shop Boys)
  • Peter Gunn (Art of Noise & Duane Eddy)
  • Revolution (Jean-Michel Jarre)
  • Radioactivity (Kraftwerk, 1991)

12ā€s were also great for otherwise unreleased tracks that, if youā€™re lucky, show up on later remastered editions.

Mark

4 Likes

Two Tribes, Frankie Goes to Hollywood. Agree completely about the sound quality and dynamics.

11 Likes

Ah yes two tribes, most dynamic piece of vinyl Iā€™ve ever heard!

2 Likes

Some great titles there, I might well try and seek them out. 12 inch singles make my little kans sound like isobariks!!

2 Likes

Two favs spring to mind Soft Cellā€™s Torch with the extended trumpet playing and New Orderā€™s Perfect Kiss with the sound of frogs during the extended instrumental section.

4 Likes

OK, well not the same, but I had a James Bond theme tune album that I always put ā€œLive and let dieā€ on at 45, and it always sound better to me. If anyone has it, try it.

1 Like

Back in black. AC/DC.

1 Like

Oh yes. Not forgetting Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Relax and Two Tribes, Sly and Robbie - Boops (Here to go). The width of those grooves :crazy_face:

5 Likes

The 12" of Peter Gabrielā€™s Sledgehammer has an extended version of Biko on the B side which is extraordinary.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve got that one, will dig it out for a play.

1 Like

I have about 100 or so 12" 45rpm singles. Many sound really great. FGTHā€™s Two Tribes is fab, and yes the PG Sledgehammer with Biko on the flip side is also excellent. I have a collection of Thomas Dolby 12" 45s and promos which mostly sound excellent too. A few stand-outs for sound quality;

Yazoo - Situation (Kevorkian Remix)
ATF - Der Kommisar (extended Remix)
Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill
Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy
Ryuichi Sakamoto & David Sylvian - Forbidden Colours
The Blue Nile - Downtown Lights

5 Likes

Thanks for these recommendations Richard, I will keep an eye out for them at my local record shop in Witney.

I have loads from the 80s and yes I agree with above, FGTH Two Tribes is fantastic, not only for itā€™s quality, but the mix is superb.

1 Like

Like Richard Iā€™ve a collection of 45rpm 12" singles that runs into the 100ā€™s mostly House Music and Reggae but of the more commercial titles Iā€™d say my. favourites are

Long Hot Summer, Money Go Round and Youā€™re The Best Thing all by The Style Council,

Love Wars - Womack & Womack,
Back Together - Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway
Blue Monday - New Order

1 Like

Some great suggestions above.
Iā€™ll add:

Anything issued by the Thompson Twins
White Wedding - Billy Idol
Stay - Blue Nile
Anything issued by Propaganda.

Also, if you can find it, the original 12ā€ extended remix of Marquee Moon by Television.

2 Likes

FGTH is also real test of system dynamics

The Style Council have an album (ā€˜The Cost of Lovingā€™) which is actually two 12-inch 45s.
had forgotten about this and havenā€™t played it for ages, so canā€™t vouch for the recording or pressing quality - but will give it a spin laterā€¦ thanks for the prompt!

1 Like

May I add: Cowboy Junkies version of Sweet Jane, and Blue Moon, along with Prefab Sproutā€™s Johnny Johnny?

2 Likes

:rofl: Iā€™m sure Sir Paul would be thrilled to hear thisā€‹:rofl:

1 Like