45RPM 12 inch singles

It’s excellent and can vouch for the pressing being excellent tracks like It Didn’t Matter, The Cost of Loving, Angel, A Walk In the Night all sounded very good there is a dodgy Rap track though which isn’t great.

I’m a huge fan of all of The Style Council’s records A Cost of Loving was the point at which Weller started to really out grow his Jam fans whereas I thought he just got better.

I have quite a few Depeche Mode 12" singles from early to mid 80’s which sound superb.

3 Likes

Another 12" that’s superb both sonically and musically is Kate Bush’s The Big Sky (Meteorological Mix).

2 Likes

…,

3 Likes

Not a single but 4 track 45rpm EP Steely Dan, dug it out last night and it sounds wonderful, especially the track Haitian Divorce, I could play this all day it’s sooo good.

2 Likes

Sheila & B Devotion Spacer 12" 45.
When the vocals drop away and it’s just drums, bass and guitar…heaven, courtesy Chic.

1 Like

Chinese Wall. Phil Bailey, (with Phil Collins).

1 Like

Reach out, touch faith.

5 Likes

One I forgot about in my earlier list: Visage - Fade to Grey

5 Likes

AC/DC: Whole Lotta Rosie (live)

Bon Scott and Angus Young rockin’ out live and loud. This is what 12” singles were invented for.

1 Like

Not a great idea, that! - Playing any vinyl disc at a higher speed risks ploughing out the hf content. Once gone, it ain’t coming back.

Remember the ultrasonic quadraphonic systems? They only worked with cartridges designed to play ultrasonic content. Using any other type of cartridge risked damaging the grooves.

And then there were the bad old days of “groove-grinders”, a cruder version of groove damage altogether. Ripping a disc had an entirely different meaning in those days.

Some great 12” Examples! I was gonna play Sledgehammer’s b-side but my copy does not have Biko unfortunately. Some of my favorites are:

Prince - Hot Thing (Extended Remix)
Madonna - Open Your Heart (Extended Version or Dub)
Skipworth & Turner - Thinking about Your Love (Full Lenth Original)
Loose Ends - Hanging on a String (Mastermind Megamix)
All the extended FGTH remixes!

2 Likes

If you saw my cheap 1984 Sansui P-D10 plastic record deck from student days, you would realise that it really doesn’t matter. It’s part of my second system that now only gets used once a year to hear my old worthless LP’s. I did replace the cartridge last year - no effect that I could hear. Definitely very little hi fi, nearer mid-fi :smile:

Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 18.41.19

I’ve got two Skipworth and Turner - Thinking About Your Love 12’s one has a remix I think I’ll have to dig it out and anything by Loose Ends from that period sounds fantastic.

2 Likes

Cat People (Putting Out Fire) - Bowie and Moroder version.

3 Likes

I purchased quite a few 12” singles in the late 70s and early 80s. A few high lights are:

• Motorhead by Motorhead (debut single)
  • Flight by A Certain Ratio
  • Discipline by Throbbing Gristle

These all benefit from the improved dynamics and resolution of the 12” format.

Hans

1 Like

Has anyone mentioned this yet?

@TheKevster

Screengrab (not my copy).

2 Likes

Only a few but a couple come to mind:

In a Broken Dream - Python Lee Jackson

Twisting by the Pool - Dire Straits

1 Like

Prince - Sign o The Times

Julian Cope - Charlotte Ann