4G Broadband for Rural Areas

Glad you got a good result. I too had massive issues with BT and got out if the contract with no penalties.

However, we were lucky in the Gigaclear were installing fibre to the whole town as part of the Rural Fibre Initiative.

We subscribed to that and have never looked back. Took the 200 mbs package, but usually we are around 230 mbs up and down including Wi-Fi.

DG…

I was told by the OpenReach engineer today, that the Fibre that has been installed through our small community is incomplete. Apparently there is a 100m section missing.
He didn’t know why. Apparently it could be because it crosses the Norfolk/Cambridgeshire border :man_facepalming:t2:

We’re quite lucky I live in a small rural town about 3 hours north west from Sydney and we’ve had fibre go through the town just before we arrived. I get download speeds in excess of 120 which is more than enough to stream hi res and 4K streams.

As I’ve mentioned on here before, I’m a huge fan of the Three offering. We get 65mbps in rural East Sussex and it’s £20 a month.

Shame that you have no Three phone reception there - although I’d be interested to see what you’d get with an external antenna. And indeed which provider you end up being connected to. Keep us posted.

1 Like

I would recommend you engage with your parish council. They can lobby for local county investment funds for locations that are not commercially viable for companies like Openreach and Virgin on their commercial roll outs.

That is what I did in my village and I joined the council to drive it.…

There was one location with I think six homesteads around with an approx quarter of a mile radius had fibre to the premise fitted, and the rest of the quite large in area parish had 4x cabinets deployed for approx 150 houses/businesses and farms, with one of those cabinets for the village in the centre of the parish. There were supposed to be two cabs for the village, but one failed survey due to being too close to a drainage ditch and a rural 11kv overhead power supply and transformer.

It took a bit of effort and patience but we got there.

There was one quite remote house that was reasonably well elevates beyond fibre reach and was on an ADSL long line <2 Mbps … in the end they had 4G broadband with externally mounted antenna. Last I heard it was working out. An external high gain antenna can make a world of difference. The good thing with rural 4G … speeds can be better as they are often not as congested/contended as sub urban/urban 4G

Hi Simon
Our new Router & Antenna has been delivered and we are waiting for National Broadband to organise our installation.
They are currently recommending O2 as the best service for us, but have just completed negotiations with EE and have suggested that they may switch us over. Their EE service will commence as of next week and if it’s better, they will just send us a new EE SIMM at no cost difference.
I’m really looking forward to speeds around 20-25 mbs down and 8-10 mbs up🤞🏽

1 Like

good stuff - you might find your speeds are somewhat quicker than that. It some times worth working out where the tower is - in rural areas it often is obvious - and you can typically find out who it belongs to.
I assume you have looked at approximate field coverage maps. If it shows good outside performance (for a handset) on 4G - you are going to be fine with an external 4G antenna.

It’s funny you mention o2 and EE. I am closing my account with o2 today and porting to EE. I have been an o2 (Cellnet) customer since the early 90s… but been plagued with technical issues in their network and systems that have taken them months to repair - and backed up with a poor, superficial and arrogant customer care team… so trying EE - and so far been helpful and responsive as well as being able to talk to a human easily - and it’s cheaper.

But customer services aside use the one that provides the best package for broadband access. The quality of the EE 4G network is generally good (for various reasons). The o2 coverage to be fair has been quite good as well around the country.

The company do the checks and align to the strongest signal source. We think we know where they will point it, but let’s wait and see.
As for O2, we left them for mobile phone provision after 18 months of hopeless service.
We were assured that they had the best signal in our local area, so our home usage would be better than all other providers.
They lied! What’s more, they were less than helpful from the get go and we couldn’t wait to jump ship.
Now they won’t leave me alone and ring at least twice a month to tell me we’re entitled to a free upgrade…:man_shrugging:t2:
Glad to be back with EE🙂

interesting - it’s not just me then :slight_smile:

With my 4G setup at the caravan based in Sewerby I ended up ditching EE and moved to O2. Sewerby is only a mile or so away from Bridlington, on a weekend the EE service pretty much collapsed, O2 has given me a stable 20-25mb download with approx 10mb upload speed.

Kit: Teltonika RUT950 housed within a QuMax directional antenna.

1 Like

Service Providers signal is very much geographically influenced. O2 simply no good here, VodaFone worse and apparently 3 is non existent :man_shrugging:t2:
EE is by far and away the best locally.

EE 4G used to be excellent in Sewerby and served me well for 2-3 years its ony recently I switched to O2.

Good luck with your new 4G EE setup :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

is anyone streaming qobuz etc over 4G/5G and if so does it sound ok?

I’ll let you know next week🙂

2 Likes

If it helps, Tidal Masters over 4G sounds superb in our house.

Indeed, I’ve often wondered if 4G/5G should theoretically sound better than traditional broadband, but I obviously can’t compare here, being cable-free.

1 Like

Only to a Sonos beam at the caravan but I dont see why the quality would drop even if you have an high end setup on the end of a 4G signal as long its providing enough bandwidth.

sure but things such as jitter come in to play, I’ve experimented with using my iphone as a hotspot and it sounds a bit off with qobuz / NDX2 so just curious, I’m sure a proper LTE router would do a better job though

Not an expert, but here’s a Speedtest result done just now. Three, 4G router.

2 Likes

This is our current BT ADSL performance:

Believe it or not this is about average. It has been below 1 fairly regularly.

1 Like

Only just seen this thread - I feel your pain, OP!

Background - been living in the countryside for 15.5 years. Have had all sorts of different solutions - copper cable from BT, a company with transmitter / receiver on the fell behind the house, a three receiver on a mast on the highway side of the house, a 3G dongle, and now fibre to the premises.

We have had the fibre for four years or so now. Usually once a year we lose it (1) neighbour drive tractor into a cable (2) passer by knocked down telegraph pole (3) birds nicked fibre from the cabinet for their nests

After the last one I tried national broadband to see if worth getting as an emergency backup - I work from home and cannot survive without internet access / emails etc

National Broadband are good with the refund if needed- I started with an internal router from them first which didn’t work at all, so upgraded to external but no decent signal so abandoned and got refund. I seem to remember they only had one supplier for network available which was rubbish for us (forget who it was). Wanted to try with EE (my phone is o2, wife’s is three) but they had no contract with them so I would be on my own.

Anyway - I feel your pain and hope it works for you!

3 Likes