£4k speakers? What do people recommend listening to?

My experience was that the mid tones were quite congested. Didn’t feel open to me. It wasn’t until we got to the Neat Momentum SX5i that I started to enjoy it, but as soon as the Proac D20R was swapped in, it was game over.

4 Likes

The other way round.
not a good speaker in my view.
The OP is right IMHO proac d20r’s being much better.
Problem is they want a bit of room.

1 Like

D2R’s don’t need a lot of room just decent stands (granted adding in stands the price is almost the same as the D20r’s)

1 Like

It’s funny you should say that…

I am a big Neat fan -now. I used to think them a bit unsubtle, if fun, apart from the remarkable Neat Petite perhaps.

Then we heard iota Alphas - and bought them for my girlfriend’s place. Then we heard Xplorers - and bought them for the house in Tasmania. Both had stiff competition.

My impression is that Orkestras are also outstandingly good and reminiscent of the Ultimatum range. Some others in that family will also be good, I suspect, and rather different from the Momentums.

By the way, my thanks to Andy at Winchester Hifi for a very enjoyable morning! :grinning:

2 Likes

Andy is a great guy and a neighbour of mine. The solid Steel SS5 really match the D2Rs. Also look great.

2 Likes

I thought Proac recommend that the D20R’s are sited with about 46cm gap to the rear wall which may not suit your close to wall placement criteria, obviously a home demo will soon establish their suitability.
Keeps us informed on how you get on as I will hopefully be in a similar position to you early next year.

2 Likes

We’ll see. They’re arriving next week for a trial. They were certainly much closer than 46 today in the listening room.

2 Likes

You managed to hear 46 speakers? Wow, that must have been one helluva session! That said, I found when I auditioned 13 speakers in one session 10 were rejected within the space of half a track or less, sounding so awful to me (despite all having received excellent reviews, and most the top of their manufacturers’ ranges).

46……cm to the wall!

1 Like

Of course! My brain clearly was following a different line of thought when I first read!

2 Likes

Cant comment on the Naim amp. I own a Gryphon Diablo 300, and that‘s an incredible piece of equipment.

1 Like

Agree, Marten speakers are special, world class indeed.

D20R is very nice. I am happy with them.

2 Likes

That’s good to know. I have the Luxman L-590AXII with Duke 2 and it sounds fabulous. I looked at the Diablo 300 for a while several months ago but dropped the plan and went with a rack upgrade instead.

I compared 282/250DR to the Luxman with the Marten several times and the latter sounded better every time.

I recommend 6k speakers. Can never spend too much ( of someone else’s money ) :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Neil0001 I hope to be in a similar position myself next year for a speaker change. I was wondering on how you are organising your demo/short list approach?

I was thinking of listening to some speakers that I would like in a number of dealers shop with similar electronics attached and narrow the search down to a couple of speakers and then try them in my room.

I guess it would be best to try them all in my room but not sure how practicable that will be. What is your and others approach pls?

I find the whole concept of speaker auditioning a bit daunting to be honest how on earth anyone makes an informed decision is at best a bit of an informed guess, it is highly unlikely that your shortlist will be comparable at a single dealer so how you make cross comparisons from a couple of brands heard at one dealer and then a couple more heard elsewhere a week or two later and then a couple more a week or two after that when none of them have been heard in your own home which is obviously where it ultimately matters seems to be a recipe for getting the final decision wrong.
Evan applying some basic criteria like budget where they fit in your own listening space wether you prefer a stand mount to a floor stander and general looks,size and finish that would still leave a large number of makes and models to shift through before arriving at a shortlist to try on a home demo but you are still unlikely to have any more than one model at a time rigged into your own system to make direct A - B comparisons.
As someone who will probably be going down this rabbit hole early next year any thoughts on the best way to approach this process and ultimately arrive at a satisfactory outcome would be great fully received.

4 Likes

To be honest the difference between speakers is big enough that direct A to B Is not really necessary.

I would decide in advance what type of sound signature, warm, lean, laid back, etc and what type of music is your main focus. Then read lots of reviews to find speakers that match that.

Then maybe try and find a local dealer that has some of the brands.

To audition speakers, assuming the dealer doesn’t have the same speakers and amp as my existing ones I take my existing speakers (no dealer has baulked at that, even when it involved carrying a pair of 55+kg speakers upstairs to the demo room, rejecting my assistance; I’ve also done with a private seller), plus amp. I also take source though that is not so critical. The reason for taking my speakers is to set a baseline for sound in the dealer’s room, and compare directly. The amp is to be sure I’m hearing the speakers driven as they would be at home. I then play a variety of different music tracks, covering the range of my musical taste (rock to opera, classical chamber to prog rock, solo piano to dramatic orchestral.

I’ve never had the luxury of trying speakers at home, so doing the above is, I feel, essential - and I have never been disappointed when I’ve bought speakers that way.

I omitted to say that before booking the demo I will have done research, starting with non-negotiable criteria - for me full frequency range, and as uncoloured as possible, then budget limit, and finally, and last in importance, whether their size and appearance would be adequately acceptable. With experience I have a pretty good idea of some of the types of speaker I’m likely to like, which helps. Then I search for sellers with the speakers I’m interested in (dealers or private), always buying secondhand or at least ex-demo to maximise my buying power. (The one and only time I bought built speakers new was 48 years ago! Then I learnt.) iWhen at a dealer I’d ask if they have anything else that they think might appeal to me more than the ones I’ve booked to hear.

2 Likes