500 DR or ND555

Source, Pre, Power - for me too.

G

2 Likes

Always source, pre, power for me too. Just the 500 now for me. I thought that would be next for me but the 2nd 555PS on the ND555 I’ve got on demo at the moment is sounding rather good :thinking:

ND555 without hesitation and would probably stick at 300DR. It’s a fabulous and agile amp.

2 Likes

Thank you! Overwhelming support for the ND555 first and understandable. It’s too bad I don’t have a dealer close by that I could demo from but could also be a curse I guess as well! @NigelB I had read most of your thread on the 500, and congrats again on that!

I will work on the ND555 purchase once I receive my 552PS back from getting the recap and DR upgrade, hopefully in the next couple weeks. Anxious to hear how that improves the sound as well.

I have an old Olive 102 connected powered by a CB Hicap and old NAPSC in the system now without the 552 and it still just hums along magically!

You’re a funny guy popeye….:+1:t3::joy: Best Peter

1 Like

The ND555 is an extraordinary instrument and a real delight to listen to. I use it with a full 500 active system into SL2s, which it seems to love. My CD555 is great, but I think the ND555 just has the edge. I think it’ll be around for some years to come. Very expensive though, especially if, like me, you succumb to the two power supplies experience. Well worth every penny though.

4 Likes

When I upgraded from the 300dr to the 500dr one of the biggest improvement I noticed was in the quality of low listening levels. The 300 was thin and weak to my ears. It is the perfect match for the 552, buy the streamer later hopefully a nice price on a used one down the road.

1 Like

The low level listening experience of the 500DR is very good for sure. In my system with Titan 808’s and the volume at about 7-8pm the system still sounds loud. By that I mean it sounds loud, it is not loud! There is amazing clarity at lower levels. I had to use a DB meter on my phone to understand this!

I would still get the ND first though but if 8pm listening level volume is important to you with kids then maybe a 500 would be a consideration. My kids are ok with 9-11pm listening as they have been brought up sleeping to loud music every night but thats probably rare.

2 Likes

I share the same experience. I went to the 300 DR for low level listening. The NAP 500 DR goes even further. Quite impressive :smiley:

1 Like

The NBL’s are made for the 500. When I bought mine I was using 135’s ( back in 2000 )and to be honest I was a little underwhelmed not really hearing a massive improvement over the SBL’s that I had anticipated. The 500 fixed that in spades. I carried on with that amp and speakers for 15 years. I never got to hear the NBL’s with DR as I moved to Statement and different speakers so I can only imagine the improvement dr would bring. I also think that the source thing is overstated at least when it comes to digital/streaming. Have a look at Auralic. My four box system has moved me way beyond the 555 but even the just the DAC on its own is compelling

Ordinarily I would say definitely go for the nd555 before 500. However, in this instance, with nibbles involved, I would strongly suggest an audition if at all possible. When I changed my 300 to a 500 (in a very difficult room for acoustics so perhaps atypical) there was an immediate sense of the power tap being opened to supply the considerable demand made by the nibbles. I’d certainly recommend both 500 and nd555 but I would hesitate to place the nd555 before the 500 with your speakers.

Peter

For me I consider the source-first, then pre-pwr-spkr route as guidance, not dogma. Sometimes it just depends, and may not be the optimal path.

3 Likes

My experience exactly with the 500dr, and Kids, breaking in number two on loud music as we speak!, just have a hard time recommending a brand new streamer at that price.

1 Like

Thank you as always everyone! @kleinbje I’m having a tough time with the cost of the streamer as well although am leaning in that direction. I do have a few items to put towards a trade (HDX SSD, ND5XS2, and nDac) and already have a 555PS so isn’t as bad to stomach. I do think it would be a better match for the 552.

I had also heard from a dealer (does both Naim and LInn) that the new Klimax DSM could be a possible one box solution (plus amp/amps) and perhaps even replace the 552. Hard to imagine but I guess it’s that good. That’s a tough one to stomach though being so invested into Naim.

2 Likes

I am also a ND555 user with 552 and 300 all DR. I don’t feel that the 300 is holding up the system. The ND555 replaced a NDS. The change was really important.

4 Likes

Give it a listen. I was told the same thing about the previous generation Klimax when I was first thinking of moving from my CD555 to streaming and got all optimistic about reducing the box count. However, upon listening I found it a very different proposition to Naim and was both surprised and disappointed. I actually found a bare NDX more satisfying, but stil preferred my CD555 to the NDS and kept it until the ND555 came out, which moved things up a notch and allowed me to turn my living room into a living room instead of a CD library…

2 Likes

Only your ears will know for sure.

This is tricky. The conventional wisdom that I subscribe to is source first. In the case of the ND555 this makes a lot on sense. It is truly remarkable, and with a 555PS already to hand you will likely never look back.

But the 500 is a beguiling thing. Remarkable in all sorts of ways, including some you will never have imagined until you hear it. With a 552 it just works. No fireworks, no pinned to the back of your chair. Just music.

I suppose that at some point you are going to end up with a full 500 level system. How you get there will matter less than getting there. But I’d always personally go for the source first. Speaking of, if the 500 is just too tempting, the NDS with a 555PS will give your DAC/555PS a right good seeing to and won’t let down a 552/500. I know because I’ve been there. Loved the DAC/555PS but the NDS is in another league, and somewhat of a bargain nowadays, if you are interested primarily in uPnP home streaming.

2 Likes

500Dr or Nd555….not important who is first both of them are a good choice,and a good match together

I moved from a NDX2 with separate power supply to ND555. Quantum leap forward!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.