500 DR v ATC active speakers,

Over double but not three times and as we know, the higher you go, the more expensive real improvements become. That said, the 500 has an authority, delicacy, texture and expressiveness the 300 can’t match. It was the delicacy that immediately won me over.

1 Like

FWIW, in Hi-Fi News & Record Review’s April edition (wherein they review the ND555), they also reviewed a pair of £36k ATC SCM100SE (Special Edition) speakers. They scored them 82/100.

The narrative points to highly revealing speakers, which can render some poor quality recordings unlistenable. As other posts suggest, it’s very much a case of YMMV.

IIRC, debates around musicality and colouration always arise when studio monitor speakers are discussed - and many of the mags I’ve read over the years always add riders about domestic usage when reviewing these.

Hard to say where one gets one’s perceptions from. I don’t think I’d be buying a 552 today, I have mine since 2008. It was proportionally less expensive then. The price increases since then in non evolving products has been breathtaking.

At every other step in the Naim hierarchy the corresponding power amp is less expensive than the pre/ps.

Just can’t see the value with new products like Kii and Dutch and Dutch appearing.

We all (I presume) have what we cannot afford (Statement for me) and what we cannot justify (500 for me). I couldn’t get past the feeling of being screwed coughing up £20,000 for one.

Obviously other mileages vary considerably.

.sjb

1 Like

I’m very surprised someone finds active ATC’s flat and uninvolving. To me this would seem like a problem in front end since ATC’s are only playing back what they’re fed with extreme accuracy and control but I think this can’t be the case with your setup.

I recently moved from nDAC (with psu) + SN2 (with psu) + passive SCM40’s to Linn ADSM Katalyst + active SCM40’s. Before this I had SCM19A in home demo for ~three weeks and I played them with various DAC/pre-amps, including 272 and many others. With lesser front ends they could sound uninvolving and clinical but with better front-ends, world class sound and musicality.

Now after few weeks of listening ADSM + 40A’s, the setup is on completely different level than my midrange Naim-setup before. There’s tons of more dynamics, separation, air, speed and power… and I must repeat power because there’s so much more power and effortlessness in the sound. SN2 clearly couldn’t keep up with the passive 40’s after all. Yes, the sound is also more accurate and some poorer recordings are not as easy to listen as before, but my old setup was way too comfortable and smooth sounding. I didn’t realize this until I heard everything I was missing before. No listening fatigue with the current setup so all the detail, control and separation is very much welcome.

Your Neats must be stunning speakers. I have never heard this model.

Sloop,

A few months ago I went with a friend to listen to the Kii and D&D 8c; the three of us preferred the D&D, we also agree that whilst they are good speakers for all three of us we felt they would be very much a sideways move.

Like you I am FAR from convinced of Naim’s pricing …but, I do think their current range is the best they have ever produced, and the 552/500 is at the heart of one of the best systems I have heard.

M

2 Likes

Indeed I may be disappointed when I do get to hear the Kii and Dutch, but TBH to get rid of 2 banks of humming toroidal transformers I’d probably accept a sideways step.

I’m not suggesting the 500DR wouldn’t give me an improvement and I’d gladly acccept a donation of one but as I’ve said here before…

…there’s a lot of good wine to be bought for the 300/500 differential :grin:

.sjb

1 Like

…and after drinking enough wine one won’t tell the difference! :laughing:

<>

NAP 500s are a far better value for money buy as pre-owned or ex-demo from a dealer (?)
It takes the heat out of the brand spanking new price tag : )

1 Like

Oh yes, they’re quite something. :wink:

IB, I like what you say. It beginning to resonate with me. The emotion is in most recordings, and strange things can happen when music is not rendered as it sounded in the studio. Sometimes it remains emotional in different ways, but ultimately it nice to get an uncoloured rendering.

Phil

Worth a try anyway Dave. Nothing ventured etc… FWIW, I recently auditioned SCM50A’s vs Kudos707 & then 808 and I think found much the same as yourself. I listened to the ATC’s first and for about 30-40 mins. I think I cycled through 12 or 15 tracks in that time, never feeling the need or desire to listen through to the end of a single one. Uninspiring, sadly. I’m not even sure I agree with the oft used epithet of ‘Accurate’ as a description of what I heard in that ATC dem. I heard well controlled treble and bass (though rather too much of the latter) but the midrange was dull and recessed. To me, that’s not accuracy. Move on.
Just don’t listen to a pair of 808’s…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Interesting reading.

As an ATC 'lover" I may be somewhat biased, but always open minded to other options …

That being said, if you are the proud owner of many expensive ‘black boxes’, it is only natural to want them to be better than anything else on the planet and for there to be no other alternative … after all, look at how much has been invested already.

The thought of a simpler active approach (no more expensive esoteric speaker cables and the like), may seem ‘alien’ and inevitably the thought of having to lose thousands £ or $ in order to change equipment, is not an attractive option.

However, if you were to start with a ‘blank canvas’, then perhaps the outcome would be somewhat different.

I too got stuck on the upgrade treadmill and always sought to get that little bit extra performance - despite the huge outlay in cost. That said, I eventually recognised that my ridiculously over priced Linn Active setup was no where as good as the far more cost effective ATC50ASL’s.

I fully understand why someone would not want to sell all their Naim amps, in order to change to something else (e.g. ATC) … I guess the amount of money lost, simply makes no financial sense whatsoever, unless sound quality is “worth the hit”.

At the end of the day, we are all different and if someone genuinely doesn’t enjoy the ATC’s, then something else may be more suitable … and that’s absolutely fine.

To say that ATC’s are dull and lifeless, however, seems a little bit defensive and trying to justify what we already own … which isn’t necessary … we like what we like and at least we tried them.

There are many musicians who own ATC (Kate Bush, Roger Waters, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, Sting, Ian Anderson, Enya) and the client list is endless, not to mention recording studios. I am sure that they don’t find ATC “lifeless” - they are professionals and know exactly what ‘music’ should sound like. If it didn’t deliver, they could easily change to a different manufacturer, but they don’t because the ATC’s are truly accurate etc.

Anyway, enjoy what you have, don’t obsess over the kit that you use and just enjoy the music - not the kit! :grinning:

Sometimes I get great enjoyment from my MuSo and don’t feel the need to critically analyse the sound that is being produced … it just plays music really well … and that is what it’s all about.

7 Likes

Would not that be their working tools?
Rather than an instrument of pleasure …

Nope … at home for pleasure as opposed to recording studio :smile:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for taking the time to post your findings.

My 500 was Dred in January this year, arranged by Geoff & Pete, I am now into week 6 of installation and been on that much talked about rollercoaster. I have left the internet radio playing 24/7 for that time and things seem to be settling down now.

I have listened to active systems on many occasions and more recently had the pleasure of listening to SL2’s active with 250’s.However, I am somewhat of the same opinion as yourself, I have Kudos T88’s and previously passive Briks,active systems have never convinced me to go in that direction.

As an amateur musician, having played in ensembles, I like to be able to listen into the detail, how musicians accompany soloists, a performer’s articulation of notes etc. But I also want to have that emotional connection with the performance. In truth, you would think the active system should have it all,but for me ,from my experience, it doesn’t. So I just keep trying to improve the balance between the two along the passive route.

Sometime after April, Pete will be installing for me an ND555/555DR. I am, for now, keeping my non dr 555 to decide how the combinations suit my endeavour s.

Thanks again.

5 Likes

Be prepared to be impressed … as I said to Pete the other day when he was over with the ATC’s, “probably the most surprising upgrade yet”.

The ND 555 really is a game changer, and that was, in my case, coming from an NDS + twin power supplies.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Hi Sloop,

I don’t think you will be disappointed, they both do sound good - all three of us preferred the D&D, in that room. But I think it may be that you would end up with a different set of compromises; and less boxes, which is always attractive.

M

Yes, I have great expectations of the ND555.

It’s the 555ps/555drps combinations and how they effect the presentation that I’m concerned about.

But I’m grateful to be able to have that concern and it will be a pleasurable journey I’m sure.

Geoff probably already knows the answer.:wink:

2 Likes

Really Dave? It’s that good? Just when I thought that my feelings of upgraditis had abated with a NDS/ single 555PS.

1 Like

Yep, it’s that good.

My NDS with twin power supplies was great, but the ND 555 simply digs deeper into the music, and for the first time, a snare drum really does sound as if it’s being hit by someone behind a drumkit.

4 Likes

Midrange is ATC’s biggest strength, already on entry level series. I’ve heard passive 50’s few times and same there also. Coming from PMC, it was a true revelation how ATC managed the midrange. Either the 50’s are broken or there’s something awfully off with the rest of the system if you feel that the midrange is dull and recessed with ATC.

The emotional connection, mentioned in the thread several times, is formed way before speakers in the equipment chain. Source + pre combo plays biggest role here in my experience.