500 users question

With the 808s you could just get yourself another 500 and run each 808 from both channels of a 500 - one channel for the bass section and one for the mid bass / treble section using a Y input cable.

If your at this level though, active is probably the way to go :fire:

So I am back to a single P.S.
What did the 2nd PS bring? More slam, a more solid bass, more detail in the bass, slightly more open sound I think. In my room it didnā€™t work - I do not need more bass. And maybe it was a psychological thing, but I couldnā€™t feel good about having half of each box sitting idle - in todays world that just doesnā€™t feel like a good use of resources. So I went back to 1, and you know what, the system sounds phenomenal, just as a 500 series should :slight_smile:
I have instead invested in another cable, and will probably go with the music power block and Sarum power cables which take the system to a new level, although for admittedly for a little more outlay :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Would there be any advantage that that I wonder? The 808s do not in any way feel short of power with the single 500, to my ears anyway.

1 Like

I just thought you had two 500s knocking around as you had the second PS - hence the suggestion.

1 Like

Agree this twin supply game and then just use half off it makes no sense to me whatever, use more power, take up more room, cost a lot as well, for a very small inpovement if any. Much better investing the money on a better amp, source etc, or even better cables maybe as that will certainly bring a much bigger inpovement to the system.

1 Like

Exactly

I did have a 2nd 500 squatting in my music room but I must confess I wasnā€™t sure how to use it with the 808sā€¦ so it sat idle.
TBH the system knocks out music with so much gusto, Iā€™m not sure the 808s need more than the 1 x 500 (or maybe just sometimes better to live in ignorance? :joy:)

1 Like

The Music cables by the way really bring a lot of life to the sound - but I only really realised that gain in my system with the full loom. The system with and without is a very different beast.
Actually, I say full loom but I am still missing the Music din > xlr cables for the 500, which should be here in the next week. Then I am properly full loom (albeit using Sarum for power cables) - I am looking fwd to seeing what the last link brings to the party, although I have learnt to just let the system run for 100 hrs with new cables before making any conclusions. Not easy for me as I am not super patient! :blush:

1 Like

Where are you based, Robbo?

Oh, and you definitely want to hear Music Din/XLRs and maybe some ā€œothersā€ :wink:

Iā€™m based in Switzerland. With the DINs I have the whole collection :sunglasses:

1 Like

Letā€™s be mindful and respectful of forum rules please. Thanks.

1 Like

You simply use one 500 per channel. using the left channel of one 500 and the right channel of the second. You would need a Y connector which Naim would supply.

I did this with my ARTā€™s and was very happy with it.

1 Like

Itā€™s something I sometimes consider doing with my Diapasons, where the separate top and bottom boxes can be driven individually

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.