552 a bit underwhelming? No! It's magnificent!

You could well be right Richard, but its a funny world we live in.
If you are passing by, pop in and while you sort the naim gear out i will make the tea, as it sounds like i could do with your experience lol

1 Like

Getting the cable routing is easy enough, but Iā€™ve found that getting the plug/socket alignment right is difficult, as the Burndy is resistant to being twisted. Is there any special technique to this, or is it just a matter of wringing it like a wet towel until everything lines up?

Corry, you shouldnā€™t be too timid with the Burndy. Align each plug in each hand with the cable in between and then gently swing the cable back and forth while giving a little twist to the plugs with each wrist. Do this until you feel the cable and plugs are happy to be ideally aligned and not wanting to pull one way or the other or with the cable all bunched or twisted up.

I would ensure you are alone when you do this otherwise you may get some strange looksā€¦

2 Likes

Wow, thanks for the tip. I would have thought that twisting the Burndy while holding the plugs would risk damage to the plug/cable connection at each end. Iā€™ll be sure to try this next time.

I get strange looks anyway ā€¦ :joy:

But the OP indicated the 552 was not a huge amount better than 52 with non-Naim PS. If a Naim PS would make the 52 sound better, the difference between that and 552 would be smallerā€¦

3 Likes

I have some sympathy with your view Dunc. I am not an inveterate tweaker myself and try not to get wrapped up in all this. My solution over the years is to call on the advice of my long suffering dealer to do all this for me. Nothing wrong with those that want to fiddle, itā€™s just not for me outside of the basics.

Stu

When I ran a 52 and 2 x135s into KEF107 Speakers, and thatā€™s a long time ago, it was much more ā€œin your faceā€ than my 552/500. Probably a way of saying it was less refined. The 52 combo sometimes sounded better if you stood just outside the listening room. BUT on the right material it had a real push. Still prefer the 552/500 set up though.
Nam have retained the PRAT part of the sound, now with refinement.
Douglas.

1 Like

I think the answer is simple, donā€™t bother with a 552, just keep the 52 until you find something that does better it, significantly. Then you can tell everyone whoā€™ll listen how much Naim is all hype, (this was me when I failed to gel with a Nait 5 after 20 years of a Sansui AU217). If you look at my profile youā€™ll see this opinion didnā€™t last but I have learned to take all the setup niceties seriously since then.

I love 'em both!:kissing_heart:

12 Likes

A fine result for your wallet if you donā€™t rate the 552 - but when I had one on demo (in place of my 52) I didnā€™t let the dealer take it away again, as I really love what it does. I didnā€™t have any preconceived notions of whether or not it was worth its (enormous) cost but once I heard it at home I really really wanted it to stay

2 Likes

9 Likes

With ā€˜alternativeā€™ power supply.

G

16 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Well i didnt think this would happen, but if all goes well the 552 will be in my front room tomorrow afternoon till monday night when i have to return it.
Canā€™t say enough thanks for this ( guys not on here so wasted, but you never know one day, maybe) for trusting me.
The main reason for this is that he is away this weekend and on Tuesday he is getting some new gear and so his system is being moved about. But canā€™t wait to see what it can do to my system in my room, plus i will have a few days rather than an hour.
I am hoping for a better result than last time but this time i am not going in expecting it to be heavenly, anyway i wont not be able to post my findings

4 Likes

So excited i almost forgot, like the pics above lol

1 Like

Well done @GraemeH ā€“ thatā€™s a good one.

1 Like

552 with chord music

16 Likes

Itā€™s not even 9pm in the UK yet :wink:

3 Likes

Well its been in and warming up for the last 3 hours, done the airport run and about to go sit down for a few hours and play some favourite tracks

1 Like

:rofl:

1 Like