552 and ND555 inputs questions

As for me, I never followed Naim’s recommendations regarding those inputs. It didn’t make sense.

Enabling those inputs and leaving the a server running in the background takes processing time, which means noise.

I tried both, btw. Never heard a difference.

1 Like

Clarification from Flynn Charter at Naim.

Sorry, my mistake there, with the 552 the CD input is input 2 and not 1. This would be the recommended connection.

Kind Regards

Flynn Charter

3 Likes

I’ve just run a little experiment while listening to Gegenwart by Friedrich Gulda via qobuz, a piano and percussion piece that relies of a rich harmonic and impeccable timing to stay interesting, what I consider to be difficult music but on my ND555 it just isn’t. With every input off that I don’t use on the 555 there did seem to be a slight loss of harmonic richness and engagement compared to having everything on except bluetooth. (Turning bluetooth on doesn’t appear to have a positive effect and it puts digital 1 on the second page and that’s the input I use for the TV which makes for an inconvenience.)

1 Like

Nobody…

…except in desperation.

As as someone who writes manuals for a living, I should know.

2 Likes

Well, I do :wink:
And I do it in the same way I read an alpine route description: in details.

Alas, you are the exception rather than the rule :smiley:

Instruction manual aka destruction manual. :grinning:

Actually the destruction is usually a result of failing to read the fine manual :grinning:

And maybe I should stop hijacking the thread now :grinning:

It’s what the kitchen fitter called them when he installed the cooker, hob etc a few years ago. “Have you got the destructions?” :grinning:

Right, back on topic.

I need to sort out the AIS for input 4 (AV2). @Richard.Dane, I’m guessing the AV2 triggers the input when it’s woken from standby?

A good question, and the answer is, I don’t know.

1 Like

Just tried it and the AV2 doesn’t activate the AIS. " With Automatic Input Switching engaged the appropriate
source input will be selected as soon as any handset function
for that (Naim) source component is operated."

So I’m guessing the old DVD5 and n-Vi are the only units that would trigger the AV input.

Oh well, it was worth trying anyway.

It may be that they have to be Narcom controllable.

1 Like

Hi @Yeti What do you mean by park the muted record selection
Thanks

The lower row of buttons has to have an input selected. Assuming it’s not being used to actually feed a recording device or headphone amp it is usual to keep the mute button selected for this row but that still leaves you with a choice as to which input you leave it on (i.e. park it). The choice of which has a small effect on the sound of the system.

OK thanks. Is there a recommended input to “park” it in?

All the needed info is on the Naim’s manual. See my first and second posts above. Hope it helps.

Well, my NAC552 used to switch inputs when I pressed the play button on the ND555 controller. I thought I’d follow these instructions and have a look through all the various permutations. Now it no longer switches and I can’t get back to where it was. I reckon I’ve tried every permutation too. Grrr!

It seems ND555 owners aren’t given the option of reading the manual as there isn’t one. I’ve a feeling that I must be raking some old ground with this question, but does anyone know why there is no manual beyond a quick start guide?

I think it was an idea that was brought in that the online knowledge base on the website could replace a manual. Personally, I’d prefer a proper manual, and I know I’m not alone. There were some encouraging noises made that indicated there might indeed be a return of the manual, and it’s good to see one issued for the most recent Supernait 3, so here’s hoping…

An online database is easier to maintain, obviously.
But a downloadable and printable manual is a priceless convenience.