552 chassis rings

Will keep my eyes open for a Fraim glass shelf to replace my top shelf where my 552 sits. Thanks

Or you changed the centre of gravity of the Fraim rack, noting how heavy the 552 head unit is.

It’s always seem logical to me to have the kit placed forward, so the weight is primarily over the front spikes (as best possible).

2 Likes

Richard, has Naim ever experimented with using only 3 feet on their products? I know many manufacturers do this to cater for uneven surfaces.

The 552 PS will also like Fraim glass … :wink:

Having looked at the internal lay-outs of the larger PSs (e.g. 555/552PS), it seems the very heavy transformers are placed towards the front of the kit and to the RHS (as viewed from front). This is detectable when lifting the things in to place.

I wonder if this means the CoG is somewhat off-centre, which may render using 3 resting points challenging?

My NDX2 felt very ringy (on touch and e.g. when adjusted on the shelf at least). I found a decoupled glass shelf to help indeed.

1 Like

Possibly, but the single foot at front/rear can be positioned off centre to deal with psu etc?
Although I can see OCD merchants feinting at the thought of something not in the middle.

1 Like

I try to place the glass evenly over the bearings and the box evenly on the glass, to distribute the weight as evenly as possible over the 3 spikes (though it appears there may be some front bias with this set up). What is your reasoning for putting the weight forward?

‘OCD merchants’ – I think you’re posting on the wrong Forum. Please provide evidence of this, and I will not accept links to 99% of the threads in the HiFi Corner and Streaming Rooms :grin:

3 wheels on a heavy car isn’t an answer, so I cannot see how, in engineering terms, 3 points would work for a heavy box of Naim kit. Can you imagine trying to centre the mass on a 3-point Fraim glass set-up?

1 Like

I believe so yes. IIRC, I asked during the early days of my time at Naim, and the answer was that four feet sounded best when tested.

1 Like

With my Fraim, things tend to sit better (OCD alert!) with the unit fronts to the front edge of the glass, with the glass level with the shelf edge. Any further forward and the rear ball can be endangered.

You can move the units fronts ahead of the shelf edges but this is going too far for me.

Richard – is the casework uniform across the individual ranges as to where the feet are?

You’d need differently drilled casework for the PSs due to the transformers if 3 feet were to be used, given how off-centre these are.

1 Like

HL, I think it is on the Classic kit, not sure about the others.

As far as I can recall, all the cases have one foot at each corner.

All of my cases have (hard) rubber feet - except the CDS II, which has metal feet. Someone explained once why the CDS has metal feet, but I have forgotten the reason that was given. Something to do with reducing microphony, perhaps?

Hard feet when there is a suspension.

1 Like

The hard feet make the box very slippery. Something that potentially can cause an expensive accident.

Musical sound is more important than convenience :wink:

On the 500 series the alloy feet have a hollow recess so you can stick small rubber pips to Fraim glass to prevent any accidents. Just important to ensure that the rubber pips are properly placed and the feet centered so not actually contacting the feet for best performance.

1 Like

Ah, are those rubber pips to be bought from the after market or naim provide them? Can a naim reseller sell me a naim set if I ask for it?