552 got to go back?

Great news to hear, thanks lol.

I had exactly the same experience when DPD came to collect my (irreplaceable) NAT01 during lockdown. I did mention it on here somewhere, but I live in easy driving distance of the factory yet I still had to watch some oik from DPD drop the power supply right in front of me, despite having written FRAGILE on every face of the wrapping. Tosser - literally.

You want to use TNT omg first they loose my XPX2 ended up at Naim took 2 weeks to get it back, box very badly damaged. This is the best bit TNT for their Piesta resistance was to damage the mechanism on my CDS3, it had been to Naim for a new mech and I was selling it to a buyer. When the buyer received it DOA so had to be returned to Naim for a replacement mech. When you complain they dont give a toss never ever again. Fortunately after a total of 3months the CDS3 was returned along with XPS2.

You lot are not inspiring me.

I was going to travel back to the UK to visit and bring some kit with me for service. Covid changes mean I am now not travelling for a while. The possible posting of kit to the UK was becoming my option. mmmm is that wise?
To be fair I have recently both bought and sold kit and used carriers without problems, so perhaps itā€™s just a UK problem?

Hi Jimdog, I had a driver I was watching on my drive from inside the house delivering 4 boxes back from service from Naim recently. First one he dumped about a meter onto the drive was the 552 PS, this followed by me running out to ā€˜helpā€™ the poor driver receive by my hands the remaining 3 boxes :rage: ATB Peter

2 Likes

Earlier this year my brand new 552 developed a similar problem to yours just a few weeks after delivery. A stuck relay causing me to lose a channel when in AV use.

I was told it would be dealt with as a priority due to it being a 500 series unit, virtually new and a warranty issue. 5-10 working days was the estimated turn around time.

When I emailed for a progress report at the end of the second week, I was told they hadnā€™t started looking at it and it would be quite awhile longer due to a backlog in the service dept.

To be fair, after a call from my angry dealer, they did seem to change their attitude and it was dealt with and returned very quickly.

Moral of the story, get your dealer to chase up progress.

I once worked for a comms company that was in a group including a parcels company.

Iā€™d often prepare equipment into the small hours of the morning (it was the 80s and I was young and ambitious) and then parcel it up and drive to the ā€˜sorting hubā€™ which worked 24 hours a day.

Since I worked for the same group theyā€™d accept parcels at any time from me and I could take them straight into the hub. Parcels came in on lorries and got sorted depending on where they were headed to go onto ā€˜trunkā€™ lorries that take them to the next distribution centre.

I almost always saw boxes being thrown, kicked etc. in a mad panic to get the trucks on the road ASAP.

Since then I always double pack things. If itā€™s something like a NAP250 I would seal it in its box and then cut polystyrene insulating sheets about an inch thick to surround this and wrap again in double-walled cardboard. This, of course, only helps on my way to the service centre but on the way back Iā€™m (hoping) itā€™s someone elseā€™s liability.

2 Likes

When our KitchenAid returned from a repair I thought we could send it straight back after seeing, from my study, its ā€œtreatmentā€ between delivery van and our front door. :scream: It was a miracle :innocent: the KitchenAid survived that last leg of the journey ā€” possibly even worse before thatā€¦

But in the original packaging that is how they get to UK dealersā€¦probably no difference if suitably packaged. Probably one of the reasons Naim like to go through the dealer.

1 Like

I worked several months one summer at the local train station which was a major rail hub, so trains would come in, needed to be emptied in a hurry, sorted to be ready for the next train, where the parcels would go in again for a different direction. It was nearly all in night shift, mind numbing, and dangerous - occasionally nothing to do for an hour or two in the early morning, then a mad dash to the trains while being very sleepy. I have to say, despite this and although there was nothing in it for us, we generally too good care of the parcels, observed ā€œfragileā€ stickers, etc. Two things I learned:

• Live animals are sent by mail, usually little yellow chickens. They were always treated with utmost care.
  • Urns with dead peopleā€™s ashes are also regularly sent by mail, labeled ā€œUrn - treat with respectā€. These were the only parcels that were regularly used as basket ball replacements, tossed around, etc.

Maybe because Berlin isnā€™t Londonā€¦ Running for coverā€¦ :joy:

This was actually where I was born, a small industrial town in Austria where people are typically rather rough :slight_smile:

All these stories have certainly squashed my concerns, cheers guys.

2 Likes

Well well Dunc, we are all here to help :rofl::hugs: ATB Peter

1 Like

For the really rare stuff (NAT01 included) I would have expected naim to accept hand delivery. If my CDS ever develops a fault Iā€™d be wanting to drop it off personally as we are within an hour of the factory not use a courier. Possibly try to swing a tour at the same time.

Im somewhat surprised if they wouldnā€™t allow it.

1 Like

Sorry to hear of your troubles with your 552 but good to hear the support from Naim, RD & your dealer.

The only carrier I trust with expensive stuff is UPS, you may pay a little more but I have used them a fair few times without trouble.

Ive had a courier put a parcel in our recycling wheelie bin at home for safe keeping beforeā€¦ on bin collection day.

On another memorable occasion simply drop give us the remains of a Childs sand pit after it had clearly been run over by something heavy.

Completely agree with this. Iā€™d happily hand deliver my NAT01 if it needed to go back to Salisbury. Booking of service etc could still be done through my dealer, but Iā€™d do the courier duties.

I would advise you check with Naim on this. I know that with the current Covid 19 situation, visits to the factory are restricted.

Same here.