552 preamp question

The “in another place” might be the reason for the difference!

As for the Exposure and Audionote mono designs not, there will be other differences between them, not just their power capability.

Of course, all other things being equal, it is cheaper to make a low power amp than a high power one, so for a given price potentially the lower power amp could have more spent on other aspects of its design, and so sound better than the high power one if the additional power is not needed. (But in practice all else is rarely likely to be equal!)

Audionote Gaku on monos, 45 w, 140 k.

2 Likes

Power amp is not only power, of course. The reason why you have cheap low powered tube amps and other with stratospheric prices.
As you said, you will not put a 500 dr to Voxativ speakers. These speakers don’t need that power .

Voxativ t 211 integrated. 22k. 12W.

1 Like

A bit of a diversion from the OP’s question, if I may : is there a significant run in to expect on a new 552 ? how long before it stabilises ?

The reason I’m asking is my new 552 is due for delivery soon and I’ve been so far using the demo unit from my friendly dealer (during which time the ND555 has probably mostly run in after 5 weeks (?) and sounding wonderful now).

Yes, good point, does a 552 take the same run-in time as other products or does it depend on the model ?

Unfortunately, the NAC 552 takes a least 1-2 months, or more, to settle in. It continue to improve a bit afterwards.

I bought all my gear new. I think my second 555PS DR was the quickest to « burn in », the 500 DR took a bit longer. The ND555 and NAC 552 DR took much longer

1 Like

Indeed, and it also takes a good 24 hours to reach full performance if you have it powered off for a period of time.

1 Like

I have experience with the 552 and the 200 and can definitely say that it makes sense, while obviously the 300 and 500 reveal even more. So in this case a disbalance is digestible.

I purchased a 552 a week ago to replace my 252. Even though most people with experience with the 552 say it needs more than a month to run in, I can tell you that already I am getting a wonderful experience with it.

When buying such expensive equipment we always wonder if it will be up to snuff. Unfortunately, yes. HiFi is costly indeed.

But don’t worry. You’re in for a wonderful experience.

I’ve had a nice taste of it using my dealer’s demo unit and it’s very very good indeed :grinning:

I’ll get ready for 1-2 months for it to settle in then.

And start to look at cables.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.