552 preamp

I got my 552 (replacing a 52) before the nd555 (replacing NDS) and 500 (replacing 300) and never felt that the 552 unbalanced things.

Had the dem 552 in my house for a couple of weeks and didn’t let it go back :blush:

3 Likes

There are no ‘buts’ for me. I am completely happy with my (admittedly very expensive) system. My 552 is 20 years old next year, and it still puts a smile on my face every night.
If I won the lottery I would probably audition a Statement System, but I’m not hankering after anything. Mission accomplished!

6 Likes

I have found the answer

TURN IT UP. :+1:

4 Likes

You are absolutely correct. I auditioned a 552 the past 4 days to potentially replace 272/555 into 300DR and yes it was better, but it wasn’t until I turned up the volume that I said WOW.

3 Likes

The 300 is an outstanding amp in many ways. Had it for almost 2 years with my 552 and ND555 until a good deal on a 500 came along. Is the 500 better? Yes in many ways as has been described exhaustively. Are there aspects of the 300 sound signature I still miss 1 year later? Also yes.

4 Likes

I’m running my 552DR with a NDX2 and XPSDR (along with a non-DR 300), and it’s sounding fantastic. I had a 252 before this, which I really liked, but the separation and air between the instruments, and the additional detail in the 552 is really breathtaking

3 Likes

DAC used in both setups?

Same here. I’ll also add that I use a Bluesound NODE as my second string source - no outboard DAC - and it can sound amazingly good. It’s shocking to think that it’s one twentieth the cost of my LP12 / SuperLine / SuperCap combo. I’m sure the Qutest would be an excellent addition.

As to the question of balance, though my system sounds very good, I often wonder what a better power amp would bring to the table, and if I’m wasting much of the potential of my 552 with my “lowly” 250DR. Having said that, when I think of my 30+ year hi-fi journey, I suspect that I suffer from terminal upgraditis.

4 Likes

Tommy,
Can you hear me?! :wink:

Not after last night. :thinking:

1 Like

300 DR owner here, telling myself this is good enough and no need to upgrade to 500 DR :sweat_smile:
Which aspects of the 300 would it be that you miss?

3 Likes

I knew someone was going to ask that question.
I do have trouble describing audio characteristics but it seems that the same system with the 300 I found that my listening sessions were longer overall. Maybe too much detail with 500? It did accentuate a low frequency mode in my room that I think I rectified with speaker placement adjustment.

1 Like

So no need to change - thanks for giving me peace of mind :slight_smile:

2 Likes

top favourite

3 Likes

Night and day! sorry…

5 Likes

I don’t get that line of thinking. It’s all they had to use (publicly) at the time; they recognised they needed something much better and so introduced exactly that with CD555.

4 Likes

No one snapped up the ridiculously cheap 552 for sale from a certain main dealer that’s ex demo but un-used for over half price!?

Is that a DR?
Cheap if it is.

But now some say the 552 is not enough good for Nd555/ twin ps. On Hificritic per example.

It is!