552 service?

That’s a good point indeed and the premise of my original post.
Having listened to the 500 series previously, my intention was to move in stages to a full 500 series system or at least a 555/552/300.
Buying preloved enables me to potentially realise that dream. The downside is that listening to individual pieces of equipment in your own home isn’t an option. It does in this case mean that it is accessible for those who cannot justify new prices. You also have to take the opportunity when it’s there.
The 552 was obtained at a price which will be recoverable and I can probably risk a service and still break even, so it’s worth the gamble if it pays off.
(The benefit of buying on auction when there are several listings at the same time.) If I can realise it’s full potential then obviously it’s here to stay. But at present it is not trouncing the 252 as would be expected.
I am pretty sure it isn’t performing to anywhere near its optimum at present. There is probably nothing to lose in a service and hopefully much to gain.
That’s my plan but I also then need to find an ND555. That may entail patience.:thinking:

2 Likes

I have a 252 and recently heard that against a 552 at Signals. The difference was instantly apparent to me but interestingly enough my cousin, who was with me, felt the difference was less clear. We all perceive things differently. Having said that I think your stated plan of a service is right, especially if you think you can recover the cost if you still don’t feel the 552 betters the 252. My money is on you keeping the 552 after the service though. Hope it works out for you.

2 Likes

Last December I replaced my 52/PS (serviced 2018/19) with a 2006 unserviced 552. The improvement was immediately apparent. Improved further after a few weeks. Nothing in the sound that suggested it was in need of a service, however, booked it in for service and DR before the price rise. Only about a month in the system so far, and me away much of that time :frowning_face: but even at this stage very pleased with the upgrade.
My suspicion is that the 552 needs fettling.

Willy.

3 Likes

On the old forum some members reported that it took 10 days for the 552 to warm up after being off a few days. By that reckoning you need to wait a bit longer.

The sound of a 552 is quite different from the other preamps. Much less HiFi and much more musical. Particularly in combination with a 500 it is very forward. It is very sensitive and does not tolerate poor cable dressing and all the boxes benefits from space above and below on good racking. Even mains cables matter. I don’t let any sort of cable touch one another. Burndies need de- stressing so they plug in without needing to twist the connector.

Phil

Thanks Phil, still listening and experimenting so my mind is open , but I am thinking that the service option is probably the best course of action given the fact that the 252 / Supercap are still on hand to fill in whilst it is away. It’s only a few months off the 12 year mark, so would be needed fairly soon. But you never know, in the next few days it might all fall into place!

1 Like

I dont think all this cable dressing, space above and below it is going to make any bit off difference.
I take it you have just removed your nice sounding 252 and supercap and just slotted in the 552 and its power supply in the same positions and its not out preforming the 252, well it should do given the same circumstances, as long as its fit and healthy.
You may find once you have it sorted that it benefits even more with all the extra fettling or not, only you can decide that one, but i stand with my first suggestion of its, going off and not what it should be like at all.

3 Likes

Yes Dunc. A straight swap but have tried to accommodate a possibility of cable issues with all the experimentation I can think of and much Burndy massaging as per Richard’s instructions! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

First impressions after the service. Same rack position same cables. Much much more detail, significantly better on decay of notes especially piano / guitar / bass.

Bass is better defined and tighter. Vocals stunning.

All the subtle detail is now there.

Soundstage stunning.

Hopefully even more to come.

:+1::grinning:

2 Likes

I reckon it could well be a servicing issue. My 552 suddenly went a bit off (same age as yours) and after servicing was sparkling and detailed. Worth having a chat with Naim about?

Only arrived back from Naim today but now much improved all round. Quite a difference already.

1 Like

And well done Naim for such a quick turnaround especially given current global circumstances! :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.