552 Volume Control

The volume on my 552 increase significantly with only small movements on the control knob. This started a few months ago. Music (especially hi-hat) become shrill and unbearable at 9 o’clock. I suspect it might be time for a visit to the dealer.

It’s odd for the behaviour of the ALPS pot to change in such a way. Have you tried doing some repeated turns of the knob up and down the full track range to see whether things improve (obviously don’t play anything when doing this!)?

I vaguely remember accidently resting on the remote and the volume moved to its maximum position…this was for a few seconds. Do you think that may had damaged the ALPS pot?

I did try what you suggested, but can’t say I noticed any difference. The 552 is near its 20th birthday, so I suspect she is in need of a full service…

1 Like

Unlikely. How old is the 552? I does sound like dirt or a short inside the pot

Its almost 20 years old.

1 Like

OK, time for a service that will take care of it.

1 Like

Blimy…you have had a good run…!!!

Yes, the whole setup has been super reliable apart from the CDS3 (mechanism). Bought the 552, 500 CDS3 in 2003/04 and 555ps 2006.

From Naim website:

How often should I service my Naim product? This is a question often asked, and the Service Department recommendations are as follows: for the Chrome Bumper (circa 1975 - 1989) and Olive (circa 1989 - 2000) range products, we recommend every 8 - 10 years and for the newer Black products (2000 - present), every 12 - 15 years.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.