552DR/300DR incoming…

Very unexpectedly an exceptionally good opportunity for a pre-loved 552DR/300DR came up, it’s with the courier and will be incoming tomorrow or so (being busy in the lead up to Christmas).

I’m swinging between great anticipation and a slight OMG what have I done. It’s manageable with selling the 252/250, which I will be sad to say goodbye too. It’s currently putting up a good fight by sounding particularly nice tonight.

I’ve started preparing to swap out the boxes. The 555PS is now on the crezenda, on a glass shelf with stainless steel nuts and ball bearings. The NAP 552 will go where the 252 is, with the NDX2 staying where it is. The plan is to put the NAP300 where the Olive SC is, but this will depend on the Superlumina speaker cables reaching, otherwise it will go on the bottom shelf. The 552PS will be the second level with the 300PS on the bottom shelf. I have 2 spare glass shelves that will go under the 2 power supplies.

This is well beyond where I intended to end up. My dream set up was always the 252/300, and went with the 250 new as the 300 was to much. But, here we are.

Now, just wondering whether to set it all up, or experiment with the 552/250 and 252/300 options before moving spare gear on.

61 Likes

Sounds like Santa has come early in your house Mike. Just in time for System Pics 2023 too :grinning:

Enjoy :+1:

2 Likes

The 552 was one of those “oh wow, how much better is that” moments for me (vs a 52). You’re in for one fantastic Christmas music-wise. Jump in with both feet I say. IMHO, try and put the 3 powerboxes in your rack as far from the 552 head unit & NDX2 as possible & even consider putting the NDX2 next to your turntable to keep it away. Cable dressing isnt an urban myth in my experience - also try and arrange as advised frequently on this forum

3 Likes

Great news Mike…….the 552/300 will be a step up from the 552/250.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll take a look at, though the length of that Superlumina speaker wire to the left speaker will have the final say I feel - especially with the reverse output plugs on the back of the NAP300. Obviously I can swap the NDX2 and 555PS around, but then the 555PS in on the level below the 552.

Edit: I need to leave the NDX2 on the rack, otherwise a few cables won’t reach it (TV and headphone amp).

I appear to have “done a Gazza”……

2 Likes

Just gone down the same path - waiting for the 552DR and 300DR. Super excited and camping behind the door waiting for the courier!

6 Likes

You’re in for a treat! I went 272/555PSDR/300DR to 552/NDX2/300DR. The 552 vs 252 might not be same jump but wow what a pre! Someone told me 552 is sensitive to be close to digital sources so I have my 300DR under my 552 (552 top shelf) and the NDX2 below the 300DR (I have a side by side fraim rack)

2 Likes

Why was the guy selling……upgrading to Statement?

1 Like

A very similar path to my last 12 months. You’re going to love it

1 Like

Moving to a top integrated I believe.

1 Like

Norway? If yes then the same guy I purchased my NDX2 from :slight_smile: I know he had his 300DR and 552DR for sale at the same time planning a move to an integrated.

New Zealand, other side of the world :sunglasses:

So close but so far away :smile:

3 Likes

Makes you wonder if Naim had a heavyweight integrated, the guy might have stayed with them….who knows?

6 Likes

If only :frowning:

2 Likes

Congratulations!
The 552 is fantastic, a big big jump up from Nac 52 and 252 !
The 552 likes an empty shelf under it,really makes a difference.

3 Likes

:joy: Enjoy :+1:

4 Likes

Congratulations Mike, that is going to be one awesome set up…someone’s in for a good Christmas…just remember to take time out to eat :grinning:

3 Likes

Great news. No point settling for second best when you are so near and can have the best. :smiling_imp:

Enjoy~

3 Likes