552DR/300DR incoming…

… and drink and go to the toilet :joy:

3 Likes

2022 was my leap year. A leap to ND555 NAC552 NAP300.

And it is a leap.

Enjoy!

G

6 Likes

Oooh exciting. You’re in for a treat :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I upgraded to 552/300 last year. Never regretted it, a terrific combination!

Enjoy :grin:

2 Likes

……yeah! :joy:

Congrats Mike and if I may chip in with placement on rack try to avoid the 552 PS at the very bottom and also the 552 head unit likes air around it if at all possible. Sorry couldn’t help myself :roll_eyes: Happy & Musical Christmas, Peter

2 Likes

Big move :+1:. I am not so surprised, as you recently liked an old post about the 552 . Very curious now on your findings, specially the 300 dr in your room.

1 Like

Same Planet though

1 Like

Mike , enjoy your new set up I had a 252 and 250dr I upgraded to a 300dr several years ago this was joined by a 552 last year it is a stunning combination superb all round and excellent low level listening pleasure.

1 Like

Enjoy the 552DR Mike its a real game changer over any previous Naim pre.

1 Like

I’m wondering now, r to put the 552 head Uniti on the crezenda, in place of where the 555PS is? Will need to check the leads reach the 300 though.

1 Like

Yes, that has always been the big unknown, so we will son find out! I did hear my speakers on a Linn Klimak DSM and big Chord muscle amp at my ex-Naim dealers a while back, and it sounded very good. His feeling was that given that my speakers work well in the roon, moving from the 250 to 300 would just lift the performance up a gear, so I’m reasonably confident. In any event, I won’t sell the 250 DR until things are settled in and I’m happy with the 300 DR.

2 Likes

That might be a solution for now……but you might be disappointed. If you can get more fraim in the future it will be beneficial to get that air above and below……or try medium spacers……a cheaper solution here.

2 Likes

I’m with @Gazza on this one. Bite the bullet and don’t skimp on the Fraim shelves, allowing for space and maybe look at brain and brawn stacks. I know it means changing furniture but you need to get the best racking for the new system. Using medium spacers and gaps between shelves could work as well.

The cable dressing and racking will be even more important here than your departed system.

Good choice and well done @Mike_S. Have a wonderful Christmas!

4 Likes

I would sell the old gear on and leave the past behind you.

2 Likes

Maybe get rid of the credenza. Get another rack of Full Fat Fraim and put your turntable on a wall shelf. Allow spare shelves and medium spacers around 552 and NDX2. Put head unit of 300 on left. Then on right your 555PS, 552PS and 300PS.

Will work alot better and you’ll not be left wondering…

3 Likes

Nice Mike. Starting with what you have and until you get the final arrangement, extra shelves etc sorted in your mind, I’d go with the three power sources on the bottom three shelves, 300 above, ndx above that, 552 on the separate credenza. I don’t think you will have the optimum until you re fraim in some way.

2 Likes

If funds a short I would consider keeping the fraim and having 552 at the top, spare shelf, NDX2, 300 Head unit on Fraim base unit.

Then buy a 2nd hand rack with 3 shelves for 555PS, 300PS and 552PS.

Sell credenza and get a nice wall shelf for TT.

I did this on a lower spec system with brawn used rack for a while before I went for full Fraim on Brawn rack. Having the 2nd rack made a big difference. The Fraim on 2nd rack better still.

Good luck with decisions!

1 Like

It’s at home waiting for me!

8 Likes

…and it seemed just like yesterday you had the SN 2!

Life is sweet and enjoy the new rig… Look forward to hearing about your experience once you have your new system up and running.

3 Likes

I am beyond excited to hear your opinion on the improvement heard from 250DR to 300DR paired with the 552 as I am looking to upgrade amp as well.

1 Like