552DR/300DR incoming…

I’ll probably change my mind again tonight.

The joys of upgraditis :roll_eyes:

Hi Stu, why not start your own thread and the boys can join in :hugs: ATB Peter

1 Like

It does make a lot of sense though. My 552DR is from 2012 but only serviced last year.

By getting this serviced I’d have my amplification sorted for a decade at least… :thinking:

Plus my tax bill has come in a lot lower than I was expecting :grimacing:

Stop dithering man. Only two questions. Do you want a DR? Is this the right one?

Re the servicing. Is it needed right now. Could it wait for another 5 years or so when the DR upgrade comes to its servicing interval?

1 Like

I added a platform to the Rega, mostly just to get it looking right at the same height as the 552 :sunglasses:

8 Likes

I’ve also just added the Superlumina cables between the 552 DR PS and the NAP 300 DR, reinstating the full loom I had with the 252/250 set up. I just love what the SL loom brings to my system - so clean and organic, just bringing it all into a wonderful focus.

I’ve ended up using a pair of stereo leads in the mono configuration, as I had a spare stereo lead that I had trouble selling, so went for the cheaper option of getting a second stereo lead and run them as monos (the NAP 300 only has one channel wired, for each mono channel, so it works fine).

4 Likes

Great Scott! How did you manage to get a 3 year old 552 for under 20k? You must produce some fantastic garden vegetables as part of the trade. Well done Sir!

1 Like

It that an attempt to help it look like an LP12😉

Well, I guess I could take a router to the platform and give it a good go!

I know, right? I saw it advertised along with the 300, and when I learnt the age of it, took the plunge. I was only going to buy the 300.

1 Like

Nice to hear that there are still some great bargains to be had in this day and age (and kind folk who provide the bargain).

1 Like

Does anyone have experience of running a Stageline on a 552? I currently have a Rega Fono MM for a Rega Planar 3 with an Exact cart. Would there any benefit in trying a used Stageline to benefit from the 552 power supply. @frenchrooster, I think you’ve run the Exact and a Stageline N?

I have a Stageline N that I used with a step up transformer for a while and was quite pleased with it.
I ran the Stageline N from the 552 DR and from a SuperCap non DR - could not really tell if there was a difference.
I had the impression though, that other inputs on the 552 were sounding better when the Stageline was powered by the Supercap.

1 Like

I used a Naim Prefix K powered from a Nac 552,sounded nice and together but the sound lacked dynamics both with the LP12 and other sources connected to it.
A Hicap fixed the dynamics but lacked in sophistication ,then I added an Olive Supercap to the Prefix and wow fantastic everything sounded superb with an amazing boogie factor .

2 Likes

Absolutely sweetie. At that time it was a Stageline into 202 if I remember well, with a Rega Exact . Was sounding pretty good. Then I had a Koetsu cart, so ordered a Stageline S and added an olive Hicap to it.

1 Like

There seems to be a lot of second hand 552s out there. I wonder how many 552 non DRs there are

There are also a lot of second-hand minis out there. Are you making some kind of point?

Yes I suppose so. If the right one came along then maybe I would not mind getting one. Also I wonder if non DR are more rare than the DR

So I just bought a NAP500 non DR to partner my 552 non DR + NDX2 + 555PSDR from a kind naim gentleman on this forum. An itch I had to scratch. Delivery to be made. 300DR to hit the road. Wish my nerves good luck.

16 Likes

Congratulations!

2 Likes