555 PS DR, would it's full potential be wasted on my NDX 2?

Over the past few days I have read virtually every topic on power supplies for the NDX 2.

Many have said that the XPS DR works great with the NDX 2, and one member states that it delivers about 70% of what the 555 PS DR can.
There is a mention in one topic that suggests, to get the full potential out of the 555 PS DR, it really needs to be used with a 500 system. As good as it is, it’s a tad overkill for the NDX 2.

In Naim’s 555 PS DR ‘Suggested System’, it states…“Supplying power for the ND555 network player, the 555 PS DR can also be used with our NDX2 network player”.

We all know that a power supply to any component will enhance it’s performance, but is the full potential of the 555 PS DR better suited to a ND555, not a NDX 2?

1 Like

I guess where i came out on this after a demo was if you had any thoughts on a ND555 in the future, then the 555ps was probably the way to go. Yes the 555ps does sound better, but the xpsdr does make the ndx2 sound so much better to my ears than without a power supply, i could happily live with that combo if i had no upgrade intentions…

3 Likes

Thanks Gazza.
Looking at your system, you have in fact gone for the ND555. :+1: Did you try the 555 PS DR on a NDX 2?
I have no intention of upgrading the NDX 2 (Bet you’ve heard that before! :grin:)

2 Likes

Yes i listened to a bare ndx2 into 252/300 and pmc 25.26. Then we put on the xpsdr which to my ears made the ndx2 a whole different streamer all round and so much more engaging. I then listened to the 555ps which was better again, but considering the price difference i thought the xpsdr delivered a lot for the money. I then listened to the nd555……just a few notes from a piano and there was no going back😉

4 Likes

Regardless, whether the 555 is an improvement over the XPS. The questions you have to ask yourself, is are you prepared to pay double the amount for a 555 and only utilise half of it ? Well are you ? :blush:

2 Likes

To be honest, in all this excitement I’ve lost count. Now was it five or six shots? :smiley:

A very good point. I was going to mention that in my OP. The 555 is nearly double the price.

2 Likes

I had a XPS DR and a 555PS DR with a 272. Yes, the 272 sounds superior with the 555 as opposed to the XPS. Then again the 272 sounds superior with the XPS as opposed to it’s own internal power supply. Now for the sixty four thousand dollar question, is the 555 worth the extra outlay (double), compared to the XPS. I guess only you can decide. However, I might be in that position soon ??? To be honest not sure I would go down the 555 route again. It is an improvement, but 3K worth of improvement ? I could not hand on heart imho, say that the improvement from the XPS is double.
As in all these decisions, you pays your money and makes your choice :blush:

4 Likes

Asuming you’re based somewhere where this is possible the best thing is to arrange a demo and let your ears decide. Once you’ve heard both choices you will be more sure of the value to you. If you went for the XPS DR, would you hanker after the 555PS??

A pre-loved 555PS might be an option :wink:

3 Likes

As someone already said, I would bother with 555 dr only if planning one day to upgrade for the Nd555, or its successor.

5 Likes

You could think of it as “am I using my NDX2 to its full potential”.
And some use two 555ps on their ND555…

3 Likes

Most will plump for a 555psu on an NDX2. Personally i could hear bugger all difference when i tried. My dealer turned his nose up at the idea.
Like all things naim, it allows/forces?/entices that next move. Think Supercap on a 282.
If you think a ND555 is ever possible, then but the 555psu now. However, an XPSDR is very good. There are even some that like a NDX2 best on its internal power supply.
Go and listen for yourself.

5 Likes

Well put. Thanks👍

1 Like

Thanks @Svetty The demo would have to be in my home. I’ve tried demoing at dealers, it doesn’t work for me.
The dealer would have to ship the PS to me, then I’d have to pay the return if I decided against it. Which is fair enough.
Yes, it had crossed my mind. I’ve got previous for hankering over something I can’t have or afford.:grinning:

2 Likes

They do. I think @Gazza uses two. Must be bloody minted! :grinning:

2 Likes

I am a life is too short sort of person…….i have old folks in care who should have enjoyed themselves , just a little bit more.:disappointed_relieved:

8 Likes

I would only add a 555PSDR to an NDX2 if I was definitely upgrading the streamer to an ND555 later down the line.

Of course, in absolute terms it does improve things, but it is an expensive upgrade. I’ve just paid £2k on Sarum T speaker cables and it had more of a positive impact than adding the 555PS to the NDX2, for much less outlay.

2 Likes

I have done a compare and contrast with an NDS with 555PS and CDS3 with XPS2 and then the 555PS.

Although different to NDX2 the CDS3 is on a comparable level.

The 555PS brought out more detail, more dynamics and a wider soundstage with the CDS3. However at the time I had the XPS2 and then reconnected it to the CDS3. Funnily enough I listened to the CDS3 and NDS probably 50/50.

Yes the 555 is quite a bit better, but an XPS2 or XPSDR is 70% there.

If sticking with an NDX2 and funds were limited thwn I’d be very happy with an XPSDR or even a serviced XPS2.

I found the NDS had a bit of edge on the CDS3 and is obviously more versatile, both with 555PS.

In conclusion the NDX2 is a great streamer and would benefit from an XPSDR or 555PS DR. I have listened to the NDX2 with 555PS with a 252, Supercap DR and 500DR and it sounded very good. The LP12 Linn Klimax sounded alot better connected to same amplification.

And when I got home I prefered my system!

The 555PS is a beast. You won’t regret it. The XPS2 and XPSDR are both great power supplies and will do the job 70% as well.

2 Likes

Thanks @Dan_M for that detailed information. Most helpful.:+1:

1 Like

It really depends on your budget. The 555 will make your NDX2 sound as good as it can sound. Of course you won’t be fully using the 555’s capabilities but that doesn’t make the gains it does provide less enjoyable. I’m using a 555PS with my 272 and have no regrets. And I have a NDS or ND555 as potential upgrade options.

1 Like

To put it bluntly the XPS2 sounded good but had 80% definition of 555PS. It sounded slightly wooly in comparison. The 555PS is like peeling an onion and get an extra 20 to 30% detail and wider soundstage, improved dynamics, clarity and bass.

Ironically I prefer the sound of a CDS2 with XPS in some ways which gives a warmer presention but more toe tapping in some ways.

It’s very difficult because old ways are less dynamic and have less information, but somehow sound less bright, more musical and more enjoyable to listen to.

To echoe this some prefer an LP12 with a pre- Cirkus bearing versus Karousel. Each to their own

2 Likes