555 PS or XPS DR

Succinct answer: yes.

Less succinct answer:
The 555PS retains the effortless, smooth musical flow of the CDS3 but gives it the drive / fun factor / balls that the CD555 and CDX2 both possess but which the XPS powered CDS3 lacks.

We preferred the CDX2/555PS to the normal CDS3 until we tried a 555PS with the CDS3, at which point there was no going back.

YMMV.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

It was an nDac

I have not heard an XPS DR but the 555PS with my CDS3 was a major upgrade compared to a recapped XPS. More of everything Naim is noted for.

1 Like

I had recapped XPS2 with my CDS3. The 555PS sounded better with the CDS3 but at the time my main source was the NDS so I had the 555PS with that and the XPS2 with the CDS3.

A 555PS and 555PS will both outshine an XPSDR.

Just out of interest is your 555 made by Naim or an alternative manufacturer? If it is made by someone else it is likely to sound slightly different to the Naim model.

Its a Naim 555 PS. No point aiming for a Naim CD player and then only buying half the product.

Sorry my comment was directed at Dan_M

1 Like

Generally seems the 555 PS is worth going for but final decision will come down to cost.

I am unable to discuss my power supply on the forum as per rules.

I used to use 555PS (non DR) with my CDS3 and it was great. These days the 555 has been ‘promoted’ for service with CD555 as part of a 555 pairing and I use CDS3 with an Olive XPS. Very good indeed but not quite at the level it was with the 555.

1 Like

No I didn’t think it was. Just interested. In any case it doesn’t matter I also found that the Naim 555ps is better than Naim XPSDR on the CDS3.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.