555 PS...what are it's limitations?

The box below the Hicap is an Allo USBridge Signature, inside which is an Allo Digione Signature. The USBridge is like a super-quiet audiophile Raspberry Pi. The Digione Signature has BNC output which I connect to my nDAC. I’ve got Ropieee installed in the USBridge Signature, so it’s effectively a Roon endpoint.

The two other boxes are Allo Shanti supercapacitor powe supplies. The USBridge+Digione Signature requires two separate 5v supplies for the “clean” and “dirty” sections of the arrangement. One Allo Shanti can supply the two supplies needed, but I have two and use only one supply from each.

For a simpler, one box arrangement, look at the Lumin U1 mini

1 Like

To these cloth ears, the opticalRendu goes really well with DAVE + M Scaler, so yes.

If you look at an NDX2, then strip away the considerable cost of the case, screen, DAC and linear power supply, I would not be at all surprised if the guts of an opticalRendu cost about the same as the streaming guts of an NDX2. Both are really rather excellent, though I haven’t compared them back-to-back. However, I did compare my oR, DAVE & M Scaler to an ND555 with 1 PS and went the oR + Chord combo route.

As ever though, YMMV.

Best regards, BF

3 Likes

Gulp, errr yes :fearful:

To be honest, I was looking at the X1 :thinking:

Ok. If you’re looking for suggestions for a one-box streamer, in the £10-12,000 (new, retail) range, and want try something different to a Bartok, how about a Vitus RD-101

1 Like

I suspect this ship has sailed but do you ever wonder how a NDX2 (or NDS) with XPS-DR into NAC282, HCDR and NAP250 could be? Five shelves.

1 Like

You could get two HCDRs and the other bits onto five full sized shelves.

Impressive isolation between your two Shantis.

Well spotted. Drove me a bit potty trying to find just the right devices.

1 Like

Actually the answer is very simple, one just needs more shelves

:grin: :grin: :grin:

PS…and a step-ladder to reach the Sondek…

8 Likes

555ps … what are it’s limitations?

It cannot cure famine
It cannot fly

Otherwise…it can do pretty much anything
:+1:

2 Likes

So DJM

6 shelf solution : ndx2/xpsdr ( or 555ps)/252/supercapdr/nap300/300ps

5 shelf solution: ndx2/xpsdr (or 555ps)/252/supercapdr/nap250dr

4 shelf solution: ndx2/xpsdr/supernait 3/hicapdr

Smile as that - cheers Bevo

3 Likes

For a about same as NDX2 + 555 you can get dCS Rossini. Some people here have decided it sounds better than nd555. Personally the dCS is only usable via Roon since their own control app is disappointing. Recently I got the entry level Bartok with an excellent built in headphone amp.

Having a Naim system was a wonderful experience. Like you, however, I am looking to upgrade but just can’t deal with all the boxes associated with 500 level system. Next month I’ll get an in home demo of the new Linn klimax system and Gryphon Diablo integrated. Would be nice if Naim introduced a 500 level integrated in two boxes. My SN2 is great but many companies are now making high performing integrated amps.

1 Like

The dCS control app disappointing? In what way, i find its great, it always works faultlessly and does everything i need, from controlling my rossini ( as in all its its settings), streaming from qobuz and controlling my melco, certainly miles ahead of the naim app.
As for one box solution, then a friend of mine has the vitus sia030 with built in dac, its certainly a nice step up from the sia025 i tried, and he is waiting for the phono board to go in, so he can get down to just one box, turntable and speaker.
Have said it a few times naim need to have a 500 series integrated

1 Like

Hi Dunc,
We are another household that would like to cut the box count without sacrificing sound quality.
We had a look at the Vitus SIA30. It may be one box but it’s the size of a wooden tea chest! Not so much of a downsize there then. However, we share your desire for a 500 series integrated type amplifier.

Best, BF

It is massive and very heavy, but then i guess if i stacked all the boxes i have to get the same, then it would be much larger and heavier.
But it did sound nice and will at some point try it in my system, to see if it can better my 552/500, only time can tell

But please naim, do your best and bring us all a 500 series integrated, that maybe has the option of dac and phono stage of equal level that could be added, would probably be your best seller

2 Likes

Yeah, Sainsburys will have to beef up their shopping trolleys to cope with all the impulse buys they’ll get.

Don’t know whether to listen to it, or climb it! :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you @Bevo, that’s very helpful.

@Katzky2021…Ex Bartók owners have said it’s a fantastic piece of kit, but the Rossini is £19,499.
A NDX2 + 555 PS is £12,298.

I use Roon all the time, as my music is stored on a Roon Nucleus.

I agree, the dCS app is a tad disappointing.