555DR, choice of putting on NDX2 or NAC272

Apologies for the delayed response !

I would say contemporary/smooth jazz sounds fuller on NDX2 and acoustic Americana better on NAC272 with adult rock great on both if that helps

I have finally decided that I prefer the 555PSDR on the NDX2 so my next question will be is it worth adding a PS to my 272 or waiting for a VGC NAC 282 ?

As you are already heading in the direction of separates, I would definitely go for the 282. Having said that, the natural partner for the 300 is a 252 :grin:

Personally with NDX2/555 into 300 the 282 will balance the system and give more on a PRE basis I would look at 282 - I used 282/HCDR and 282/SC with my 300DR

I think you will be very pleasently suprised on the Pre upgrade which the 282 offers over the 272

You could always demo a Townshend Allegri preamp. Doesn’t need a power supply or an expensive mains lead!

I’m wondering why there is a difference between jazz and acoustic Americana, but thanks, noted !

Very difficult to explain, more depth when playing contemporary jazz as it is predominantly electric instruments whereas the other genres are very acoustic based, sorry not that helpful I know !!!

Do you get a remote with that or do you have to get up every time you want to alter the volume?

My one is the cheap version without the remote. You can get a more expensive one if you need remote control.

I use Naim App to adjust volume on NAC272 not remote that came with NDX2

Final observation now all is settled down and running well is 555DR on NDX2 every time as there appears no benefit to the preamp stage of the NAC272 of external power supply

Hi John, that’s very helpful, thanks for sharing your observations.

Overall, are you happy with this addition of the NDX2 and keeping the 272 as pre without PS ? I mean, is it a significant improvement in SQ vs. having only the 272 with 555 for both streaming and pre ?

Do you see that you will keep this setup or definitely will change the 272 for a better pre ?

I am very happy but will look out for a 282 and a Supercap I think eventually but as Streaming from my UnitiCore or Tidal in my main room is my source (I have vinyl into another NAC272 and non DR Nap300 in another room) it doesn’t feel like a priority !!!

John, you have a wonderful system but IMV it is being held back considerably by the reliance of the pre amp section in the 272.

When I went from bare, then cuddly toy power supply on my NDX, to PS555DR it was quite a shock, in a good way. So I suggest putting the 555 on your NDX2 is indeed the right move. I was using a 252 at the time, but I would suggest a move to a 282 is a great upgrade and would ‘release’ your system to perform as it should. Your idea to power a 282 with a SuperCap is also a smart move. I always felt my 282 performed way better with a SuperCap as opposed to HiCap, although others would disagree. The other benefit of getting a SuperCap on the 282 is it is then ready for the arrival of a 252, the natural partner to a 300.

So I believe your thinking is spot on but I don’t underestimate the cost to get to the balance of NDX2/555/282(or 252)/SuperCap/300. This system is of course begging for a ND555 join the PS555!

1 Like

My 272 preamp seemed to get a large uplift in SQ when I added a 555DR - at the same time as the streaming section and the DAC.

Moving the 555DR from the 272 to the NDX2 does 3 things at once:

1. adding a lot to the performance of the NDX2.
  2. subtracting quite a lot of performance from the 272 preamp.
  3. improving the SQ of the 272 preamp because now it will not be polluted by EM noise from the streaming board and DAC.

These 3 interacting effects may make it seem that ‘there appears no benefit to the preamp stage of the NAC272 of external power supply’.

It would be interesting to compare Ndx2 / 555dr / 272 vs Ndx2/ 555dr/ 272/ 555 dr, to really respond to the last statement.

1 Like

Logically, as the external power supply powers all parts of the 272, as you say, I cannot see how one can conclude that the preamp doesn’t benefit from the better power supply without isolating the preamp and testing just that. I suppose I could do that by testing the 272 with and without the PS using vinyl or tuner. I’m not going to do it but it would be an easy way to know.

In the meantime we just hang in there for a new and improved 272 replacement. I think it’s precipitous to go for a NDX2 and 282/Supercap when an improved 272 could get you there, or virtually there, for less money and fewer boxes.

Update, as everyone has advised just added a 252 with non DR Supercap and the uplift is significant, do I need to consider a SL Din to Din between Supercap and 252 as well as between NDX2 and 252 replacing the standard snaic?

You’ll be delighted to know that the SL range does not include a Snaic5 replacement. The standard Snaic is all you need.

Delight is the word…thank you !!!