555ps dr

That is most certainly odd, and not in a good way. Perhaps Naim should scrap the XPS DR and forget it ever existed.

1 Like

In the past Iā€™ve run both 555PS (non DR) and XPS (the original one, non-DR) on CDS3 and the former was far superior.

When I added a second 555PS (DR) onto my CD555 (previously with just the non DR 555PS) there was a very significant improvement all round. The ā€˜DRā€™ is definitely worth it.

It obviously works for some and is good deal cheaper than the 555 DR for anyone who canā€™t or doesnā€™t want to stretch that far though.

Agreed. But Iā€™ve still found the ā€˜lesserā€™ external PSU a significant improvement than anything before it. To say itā€™s worse brings this whole existence into questioning. A bit like the ā€˜superiorā€™? Utter nonsense. Just purchase ND555 with two 555DRs and two Fraim racks.

3 Likes

Me too. Iā€™d say that the NDX2 to 555PS upgrade from XPS2 is moving to another league and the replacement of the NDX2 with the ND555 an equal jump. That final step really takes the replay into a place which is totally immersive. You forget the kit.

Mustnā€™t think about a 552ā€¦

G

2 Likes

Especially without the Fraim(s)

The 555 psu on an ndx2 is temptation to go to an nd555.
Like a supercap is on the nac282. It exists to temptation you the next rung.

5 Likes

Unfortunatelyā€¦.yesšŸ˜¬

1 Like

No point in messing around :rofl:

In the pecking order itā€™s always electronics first for me.

G

1 Like

In a way. On the other hand, I find it comforting to have maxed out classic and the only place to go is 500. Itā€™s a good place to be

Yes it is butā€¦the Fraim is the final, regardless.

If I even tried a 555psu Iā€™d be on a slippery slopeā€¦

1 Like

Youā€™re not the only one trying not to think of a 552.

1 Like

The 552 is quite good.

3 Likes

Itā€™ll really make it sing, I could have stopped there myself if my dealer hadnā€™t made yet another amazing offer !

1 Like

These dealers are clever at parting you from your money!

Lean selling machines.

Other question:
i see some use the PS555DR power supply. when I look at the devices (Blackbox) setup, the power supply is the most expensive component. Is the power supply really so good and makes such a big difference that it is worth almost ā‚¬ 10,000?

Iā€™ve gone a fair way up the Naim ladder in a short time. Adding an XPS DR to a 272 was a big wow moment, maybe even the biggest of all the upgrades. Iā€™d recommend it without hesitation, good as the 555 DR is.

2 Likes