555PS on a NDX?

So would my existing Burndy work with an ND555 or do I need a specify ND version? Slightly confused :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Already have a Raspberry Pi allowing me to run Qobuz & FLAC from NAS via Room on a Mac Mini.
Works brilliantly :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

The ND555 (and NDS and CD555) all require 2 Burndys which are specific to these models, but interchangable, i.e. you can use the same pair of Burndys on all 3 models.

To power the NDX requires a single Burndy which is known as the XPS Burndy. You can use this in an XPS or in a 555. if the latter 1 socket of the 555 will be used.

The 555 doesnā€™t come with any as itā€™s unknown by Naim which piece of equipment you need to power so you could end up with surplus cables which makes things expensive. The XPS on the other hand comes with a Burndy which is compatible with all components that can be powered by it.

Makes sense now - thank you. So I could get a 555PS now & use the XPS Burndy & when replacing the NDX with ND555 buy the required Burndys - I see an upgrade path :wink:

1 Like

Qobuz sounds so good through bubblesoft. Iā€™m using a container on my QNAP.

Consider taking a look at Kurtā€™s cloud solution for integrating lossless through iRadio. Itā€™s easy to do and gives you a back up in the event the RPi fails.

The ND555 will come with Burndies.

I have 555dr ps on my cds3 and itā€™s amazing the xps is good but 555 is a different league.

1 Like

nope.
Keep your Psu
Get a cheap nDac instead
Orā€¦wellā€¦ yes :-))
both
555ps now and nDac later

Is there a significant difference between case finishes? Apparently the 555PS came in ā€œpowder coatedā€ or ā€œBrushed and black anodisedā€.
Would there be a difference in 2nd hand value?

The brushed anodised finish matches the 500 series whereas the powder coated finish matches the rest of the range.

The anodised finish is more expensive and will be reflected in higher used values as well.

Thanks @trickydickie useful to know. Is there any SQ difference do you know?

No, itā€™s case only difference.

The anodised case does have a very slight advantage sound-wise. In the past weā€™ve done the back to back listening tests on a few occasions at Naim. It was enough for me to go for the anodised casework even though I could have saved some money going for the painted version. Knowing how damping the cases results in a poorer performance, I would hazard a guess itā€™s possibly down to less damping against the painted version.

I was wondering why my 555 looks different than the rest of my kit. Good to know.

Thanks @Richard.Dane - I thought it may be only slight.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.