555PS question

Bar the ND555 CD555 head units which other Naim units can this be used on/upgrade and what leads are needed?

Cheers,

Rack.

NDX, NDX2, ND5XS, NDS, NAC272, Naim DAC

2 Likes

It can be used in addition to your suggestions, on a ndx, nds, cdx2, ndac, hdx and 272. You would need the 555 ps burndy, this would be normally supplied with the cd and nd555 products.

2 Likes

CDS3 too?

Plus HDX.

1 Like

Actually, the Burndy required varies. For example, for the nDAC you need an S-XPS Burndy. Neither CD555 Burndy will work.

1 Like

You need an S-XPS Burndy for everything other than the NDS, CD555 and ND555.

4 Likes

Yes CDS3 and CDX2 also.

1 Like

In fact CDS2 also. Not sure about CDX though or CDS.

1 Like

So the complete list is:

ND555, NDS, NDX, NDX2, ND5XS, ND5XS2, HDX, HDX2 NAC272, CD555, CDS3, CDS2, CDX2, Naim DAC?

That’s one versatile PSU.

That’s a little bit too complete! Cross off the ND5XS2.

3 Likes

you can add the CDX too…

1 Like

Yes Naim is actually 50% power supply manufacturer !

@RackKit what are you planning?

Just pondering… :thinking:

@RackKit, Fair enough. Suffice to say the PS555 is a rather flexible piece. There is hardly a reason to let one go, once had.

Nick

Though you are not using half of it in most of those scenarios.

You’re using all the primary but even with an NDS not all the secondaries, only a 555 needs the lot. My ps had a blown regulator on the unused rail, only discovered when I bought an ND555, thankfully Naim pulled out all the stops to fix (and DR) it in a hurry.

2 Likes

But guessing a standard 555PS is still an upgrade over the XPS2/DR in those units that can’t use the secondaries?

I thought it was no contest when I had a shop demo on a CDX2/282/hi/250 and bought the exdem 555ps over an XPS2DR rather than a supercap for the 282. The guy’s in the shop, including one Frank Abela, hadn’t heard much in it when they compared them in the front of shop display area system but in the demo room it was clear cut.