555PS question

Had a feeling that would be the case compared to the XPS2 standard or DR.

Frank Abela - miss his contributions on here. He seemed like a really nice guy.

R.I.P. Frank.

He was.

1 Like

Does the NDX2 make full use of 555PS ? Am considering purchase of 555PS to replace XPSDR vs. replacing my 282 with 252 - already have SCDR. Similarly priced upgrades - but which way to go (also have reasonably well specā€™d LP12).

Iā€™m probably not the best to advise, the 555PS is not fully utilised on the NDX2, but by all accounts is a step up in performance from the XPS DR, whether itā€™s worth the extra cost probably depends on the system. I went for the XPS as I thought the 555 was an over investment for my system (SN2/HiCap) and I didnā€™t want to pay for stuff I wouldnā€™t use.

It probably comes down to what is missing now that you want to achieve with an upgrade?

What I have done since is look at cleaning up my mains with a filter, which in hindsight, I would have done before the power supplies.

Really Iā€™m not missing anythingā€¦ Rest of system is 250DR and Focal Elektra 1028Be. It all sounds fine. Just considering a final upgrade before retirement - a retirement present to myself so to speak. 282 is aging (2005) though serviced in 2015.

Id have to listen carefully though, noting some prefer 282 over 252.

As you may (or perhaps may not) have read above, only the NDS and the two 500 series sources use both sockets on the 555PS. That said, the 555 seems to produce wonderful results with pretty much anything else that it can be connected to with a S-XPS Burndy, and there is no reason why it wouldnā€™t work wonders with your NDX2.

Mike mentions mains filters above. These can be useful in specific situations where mains-borne interference is an issue, but in general they are best avoided. A good dedicated mains is recommended though.

Noā€¦ I seem to have missed the point that only NDS and 500 series sources make full use of 555PS. Then again, 282 doesnt make full use of SCDR - and it sounds fine.

Thanks, both, for the clarity. Will continue to ponder the conundrum until Iā€™m ready to act on it.

I suppose the other question is whether new pre-amps are around the corner?

A few have commented that the XPS is close to the 555 on the NDX, about 70%, how that translates in your system, I guess can only be tested through a home trial.

Sure ā€¦ though new Preā€™s are only speculation, so wouldnt let that delay a decision and theres no rush anyway.

1 Like

Used 555PSā€™ are available and cheaper the XPS DR. Seems like a no brainier to go for the better PSU, even though you only use half of it, same as the Supercap on 282 - as I found out years ago.

I thought the cost got you 70% or so of the performance of the 555psdr. If you think you may well upgrade again , perhaps the 555 ps is the one to buy, if not i think the cost is a great performance lift for the money.

1 Like

Yeah - Iā€™m no skeptic when it comes to the benefits of the PSUā€™s - from previous experience.

The 252 is tempting because it will (hopefully) provide an uplift to both sources. If I find I donā€™t like it, thereā€™s always the 555PS.

My dealer suggests 70-75% also. I wonā€™t be upgrading beyond this - unless I have the good fortune to win the lottery ( unlikely, as I rarely play it)

1 Like

Yes, for me it was 555 if you are looking ND555 long term, or XPS if staying with NDX2. So here I am, happy at the NDX2 level with options for separates futures proofed if needed (hopefully not).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.