6 Nations 2022

It seems to me that England are over-coached in the way they must play, and the Plan A of territory and kicking is well beyond sell-by date now, and in this game (as in 2020), it made no sense to eschew handling the ball along the backs. Many of the kicks were aimless and just invited negative outcomes/gifted promising possession away. As in 2020, there appears to have been no Plan B.

And when I say over-coached, I also mean the team expects set-pieces (primarily line-outs) to follow patterns and timings, and itā€™s from other matches that quick LOā€™s and plays disrupt England. This is a lack of concentration on the game and what the oppo are up to - as for Marler and the LO, the result speaks for itself. Brainless stuff again.

Iā€™m busy next weekend so, thankfully, am unlikely to watch the Italy game, as I think the latter will fancy their chances.

Unfortunately, Walesā€™ performance indicated their lack of player-depth in key positions, especially at centre - Adams was fortunate (by a few inches) to have only seen yellow, noting heā€™d already been pinged 2x (IIRC) for being offside in the wider channel.

1 Like

Same might have been said of the England cricket test team ā€¦

Reading the rugby forums the majority of criticism is for Eddieā€™s tactics and selection rather than the actual performance.
He seems averse to consistency and keeps experimenting - compare to Ireland who have over half the squad from Leinster and therefore play well together, which was clear to see.
Smith / Dombrandt should have been an obvious choice?
I know his ultimate goal (obsession?) is to win a World Cup, and he did get them to the last final, but in recent years itā€™s just frustrating he never realises the potential of his generally good teams in this tournament.

2 Likes

Letā€™s hope we donā€™t follow their ā€˜weā€™ll learn from thisā€™ mantra ā€¦ but never do!

1 Like

Italy V England - Sunday.

Iā€™m probably wrong (I donā€™t bet) but it seems PaddyPower are offering 13/1 for an Italy win.

Hmmmmā€¦very tempting to break my vow.

Dear me ā€¦ dire straits!
(The group were also led by a man in a headband but had more success :frowning:)

1 Like

Progress of sorts, with Randall starting at 9 and Dombrandt at 8.

A blow for Ireland as Sexton is crook with a dicky hamstring.

1 Like

Two super sounding games today, I understand from BBC radio news. Former British Lion Keith Wood said Ireland will be alright without Sexton. And I think he said the French coach has brought the ā€˜funā€™ back to their game.

Canā€™t wait to see highlights of both matches.

1 Like

France Ireland should be great, but if Wales can get their home support roused then Scotland may have a harder task than it might appear.

Looking forward to seeing how England go tomorrow. I hope EJ gives the new players more than ā€˜justā€™ Italy to show their potential. Especially the new 8/9/10 combination. I fear heā€™ll revert to his ā€˜favouritesā€™ next match though.

Bruce

2 Likes

Sexton is getting on and ultimately Ireland will have to find a permanent replacement before long. Having said that, heā€™d have been a massive contributor to the match this afternoon.

Peter

1 Like

Canā€™t decide if Eddie is genius or madman.

He has a young, talented, exciting squad who are capable of great things but again heā€™s chosen change over consistency - 6 changes (!!) including Randall at scrum half (2 caps), Dombrandt (5 ) and Itoje moved from lock to flanker.
England should dominate in the forwards and release quick ball, and the backs should make better use of it than last week, but itā€™s untried or tested.
Who knows? I hope he hasnā€™t underestimated Italyā€™s improvement.

Looking forward to the other two games. They look evenly matched and may come down to who concedes most penalties?

2 Likes

Gutted though I am by the result, that was a great game in Paris. I canā€™t imagine there will be a better game in this 6 Nations, massively physical, but some great handling and tactical play as well. Mistakes from both sides, but those were brought on by the intensity. Two fantastic games today.

3 Likes

Two good games for sure but the intensity and skill in Paris was just fantastic. For Ireland to get some momentum after that first half was impressive but France deserved the win in the end.

Wales scrapped away for sure but still donā€™t seem to have much on offer in attack. Scotland a bit muted.

Bruce

2 Likes

Yep totally agree - immense pressure for all 80 minutes. Felt like France just had the upper hand and forced errors on Ireland which was unexpected. Ireland fought like lions but France had that elusive extra gear on hand. Brilliant battle, best game Iā€™ve seen in ages and shame about the result!

Peter

1 Like

Was that the decider of the tournament?
Ireland were excellent and easily better than the other teams seen so far, but on home soil France were truly brilliant at times and deserved the win.
Hansen gets cheeky try of the year award !

2 Likes

France v Ireland - concur a great game, played by 2 teams who play fast and hard (a la the ABā€™s), with the confidence and ability to play a 15-man game, largely with ball in hand. This is what rugby should be about IMHO.

While there were a few silly/perhaps over-zealous pens (discipline was excellent - a credit to both teams), the game continued to flow and, most importantly, there was no ambiguity about the result, something which Andy Farrell acknowledged and was very gracious about when interviewed. A top-line English coach, facing off to another in Shaun Edwards as Franceā€™s defence coach, an area of their game which has become a strength as much as their running game.

If I was sat at the RFU in Twickenham, I know where my interest for Englandā€™s future would layā€¦and it wouldnā€™t be with a random-thought generating Aussie, who still sets teams up to play kick-ball.

I fear I may need to watch the England game today from behind the sofa - I hope not and that England can play with pace off 9.

Lastly, this seasonā€™s prize for beating his man in a 'phone box goes to Damian Penaud.

1 Like

Really enjoyed the France v Ireland game, great to see the French playing good rugby. Think the French are fast becoming one of the early favourites for the WC.

As for the random thought Aussie heā€™s all yours, and letā€™s be fair England has benefited by his coaching but like all good things it canā€™t last forever.

Pete,

Re the latter aspect, I wonder if England should simply dispense with Jones.

Over here, Harlequins, a Premiership club side lost their head coach a while back (may have sacked him - memory loss!), formed a coaching cā€™tee of who was left (IIRC) and the performance of the team was transformed - they won the Prem! They started playing with creativity and width, helped by the likes of Louis Lynagh.

One mustnā€™t forget, England had a strong team at RWC 2015 but some poor execution, strange captaincy under pressure, generated a loss to a ā€˜never say dieā€™ Wales team. The problem with England has always been from 9 onwards, which has been covered-up by the kicking game and relying on aggressive defence - but, as Scotland & Wales in particular have proved, if you get at England in open-play, the wheels have often come off.

The teasing question is why England struggle to fashion a decent 3/4 line (starting at 9) when the likes of Wales, Scotland, Ireland (as the other home nations) have, in general terms, been able to match/surpass England in this area, from much smaller senior player bases?

Watching Dupont (Franceā€™s SH) yesterday (and Irelandā€™s SH for that matter), served to exemplify the stodgy way England seem to have been directed to play via Youngs at 9.

I thought Eddie brought you guys a bit of Southern Hemisphere running rugby but what Iā€™ve seen lately it appears itā€™s been lost. You probably should trade coaches, I donā€™t think having the same coach for years is beneficial (expect MU of course).

My glasses may be tinted (and not rosy!) on these things but England havenā€™t developed a 3/4 unit during Jonesā€™ tenure which has been a regular differentiator in matches. Englandā€™s game-plan cum forte has been having a strong pack, with mobility, good set-piece (a must nowadays), which can hammer the oppo and create pressure from territory, giving the backs space to effect over-laps et al, the pinnacle of this being the RWC SF v the ABā€™s (not their greatest side), when everything clicked and, to be fair, England also had the run of the ball a couple of times in that match.

Of course, when the same game-plan was tried against the Boks, the wheels fell off, as the Boks created havoc at scrums (= many pens) and out-did Englandā€™s game-plan of applying pressure via territory.

The deep irony here is that when Jones coached Japan at RWC 2015, Japanā€™s game-plan was to play fast and loose, using ā€˜instantā€™ channel-1 ball out of the scrums. Yet 4 years later, when facing a physically bigger SA team, England tried to play them at their strengths.

I do wonder though whether the days of when (e.g.) the Aus team had an OK pack of forwards but wonderful 3/4ā€™s and won games due to this have now passed, as sides appear much fitter, obviously helped by having 8 subs (4 too many for me). Time was, when decent 3/4 lines on their own could win games with only a modicum of ball, especially against tiring defences.

1 Like