6 nations rugby 2021

As long as Jones is wedded to Farrell there’s no prospect of England changing. Farrell just isn’t creative - nor I suspect bright enough to recognise his short-comings. Jones has nailed his colours to the Farrell mast. Unfortunately although Ford is a better player his size and consequent defensive frailty weighs heavily against him and the Cips option has long since sailed…

3 Likes

We can only hope. Apart from an entertaining game against the All Blacks in Japan, watching England during Jones’ tenure has been only slightly preferable to the proverbial ‘paint drying’ or ‘grass growing’.

How on earth was that 3rd England try awarded? The leg clearly hit the corner flag before the ball was grounded, or am I behind the times? There was a similar decision in last week’s Wales game when try awarded as body hit corner flag after gounding. Or at least that’s what they seemed to be debating.

Corner flag is not in touch nowadays

1 Like

Yes, just heard that on the commentary - so many rule changes in recent years may be why I’ve lost interest. The game is completely different these days, and not in a good way, apart from safety concerns (as I instantly contradict myself below!).

I was at the Brewery Field with my father, standing on a milk crate to see, when JPR had his face mauled in a ruck by an All Black boot (John Ashworth) all those years ago.

Ouch

I thought it was a somewhat disjointed performance but better and with nice attacking variety from Ford. Surely time for Robson to have a run starting at 9?

Italy spirited but sterner games await for England

3 Likes

Yes, thought Robson was excellent, sharp with several incisive runs.

Italy looked very powerful at times, and the scoreline reflected that.

Robson and Spencer should be vying for the slot at 9.

See around 1 min 29 sec here:

1 Like

Well played ref. A triple crown for Wales.
Too many mistakes by England, but not quite vindication for Wales’ management.

2 Likes

nothing much to add but certainly happy with the result and a very sweaty few moments after the England comeback.

1 Like

Lousy referee, that try should never have been given.
Didn’t matter in the end though.

1 Like

1st try I’d agree that ref did not give England anywhere near enough time to regroup after the penalty after telling Farrell to talk to his team about infringements. I actually think he was tripped up by Biggar asking if time had restarted, wiley move from him.

2nd try, in the old days I’d not have considered that a knock on, and even now if it came off player’s leg is supposedly ok.

Very close, England lost due to indiscipline and as was mentioned at the end even those 14 points were less than the winning score.

1 Like

England extremely unfortunate in first half, completely outdone by a referee who was unbelievably biased and/or completely incompetent.
After doing so well to draw level, they then threw it away through indiscipline, yet again. It is ridiculous how professional sportsmen keep making the same stupid mistakes. Eddie Jones needs to go.

2 Likes

At half time, when one of the TV pundits was asked ‘Who do you think is most likely to win in the second half’, my daughter immediately said ‘The ref’.

Mark

1 Like

Forget the ref with the Welsh grandmother. England were once again dull, and dim. They were beaten by a team that played smartly and that they failed to dominate up front. All too familiar. The fabled ‘finishers’ shipped 16 unanswered points from 24 all.

Since RWC they have stalled and now are going backwards. Desperately need fresh bodies and brains in the team, and at coach and captain for me. Time to say ‘thanks lads’ and build again.

I actually want them to lose against Ireland and France so change happens. How sad is that?

2 Likes

Latter part, not sad but you, like me, see this scenario as the only one which will bring about much needed change (IMHO).

Having played rugby and other sports and been on the end of some poor officiating, yesterday took things to a new level for an international game IMV - and it did change the complexion of the game, for how could it not! Various SH refs have come in for criticism over the years, Joubert (not allowed entry in to Scotland) and Walsh to name 2 but they were made to look reasonable and fair. England would have been better off with Nigel Owens in charge.

In summary:

England played much better in passing the ball and very much deserved their scores, although Wales matched them up-front. England though looked aimless at times, with poor kicks and gave away numerous avoidable penalties - although I would argue Itoje’s one near the end when he jumped across and found himself on the wrong side was very harsh as he exited ASAP.

The whole officiating group yesterday was sub-par, showing no empathy for the match circumstances or the spirit of the game in general. On the latter, why are water carriers (code for ‘coaches’ messengers’) being allowed on the pitch at all, other than when behind the posts? It’s not the Gobi Desert out there and 5/6 people from both sides with yellow bibs on simply isn’t acceptable.

What could have been an even more tense and exciting game was spoiled by the officials and, worse, I fear EJ could use this as rationale/excuse not to change things moving forward.

Daly exemplified what was wrong with England’s approach when the Welsh SH took the quick tap, as he wasn’t watching what was going on and was running away head turned. He really does look out of sorts in this team. At times, England appear to play like they’ve been over-coached to move and play in specific ways and when the oppo go off-script they struggle to react.

Lastly, having watched some of the legacy Lions’ matches from c.20 years ago, it’s very apparent the speed of the game and time of the ball in play has reduced materially. The delays at scrum-time and line-outs need to be resolved IMV. These events are now creating intervals in the play, which can never have been intended.

5 Likes

I think the ‘overcoached’ observation rings true. Inflexible, playing to routines and with little spontaneity.

Bruce

2 Likes