62/140/Hi input sensitivity

After having it all serviced ( great improvement in stability and just sounds fixed now) I decide to use straight through set up on the phone for my Lehman black cube se 2. I was always using the tuner input for this because I did not have a decent RCA to RCA (input was converted from BNC). I purchased a nice rca to rca Nordost purple.
I found that the volume was already very loud by 7 o’clock and while detail and intimacy was excellent, upper midrange was a but hard or strained. After thinking about it I though well the NAIM input sensitivity is very high. so I dropped the gain on the phono to 56 db and the problem was gone!. I even have better double bass and vocals no more strained sound
It seems the preamp was being over driven a bit. The sound is less detailed I think but overall way better.

I guess we need to make sure all aspects of replay are considered very thoughtfully before making any conclusions

Ken

Ken, glad you found a solution that worked out well for you. The input overload margin on the Naim pre-amps was very high (IIRC 7V!) so no chance of over driving or overloading…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.