72/Supercap -Mad pairing/staged progression : advice needed

I know somebody with extensive Naim experience who is very happy running a 72 with a SuperCap.
Personally, I’ve gone through the following journey:
282 + Hicap,
282 + Hicap DR
282 + 2* Hicap DR
282 + SuperCapDR
252 + SuperCapDR
You can’t go wrong with SuperCap. It was a fundamental upgrade.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t underestimate the performance of the good old 72. My 552 has been away being DR’d and serviced recently, so I have been using my trusty 72 as a stand in. I’m still very impressed on how well it copes even into a 500. It just seems to do everything quite well, which keeps the music nice and coherent. There have even been a couple of albums where I prefer the presentation to the 552. This has all been with a 30 year old unserviced hi-cap, so a supercap should be even better!

4 Likes

This is no doubt true for you, and probably for the majority, but it’s worth bearing in mind that there are those who have tried, and gone back to their Hicap for preference. There are no universal truths here.

1 Like

Indeed. As always. We have unique ear/brain combos and the gear has certain fixed characteristics :+1:

FWIW, I ran a 102 with an “olive” Supercap. Made a modest difference over a Hicap, but nothing significant. Curiously I thought the temporary “borrowing” of the NAPSC had a greater impact than HC->SC.

But, it was bought as stepping stone in my Master Plan for Hifi World Domination (…mwa ha ha, Mr. Bond)

1 Like

Which was / now is…? :wink:

was: 102+HC, 250, SBLs

now:82+SC, SNAXO+SC, 250s, SBLs

2 Likes

Lovely Suzi.

I moved from a 252/SCdr to a (modded) 72 if that helps!!

1 Like

I’m with Richard on this one.
A super cap powering a 72 is pretty amazing.

1 Like

That’s very interesting. Are you saying the qualities of the 72/SC outweigh the obvious strengths of the 252 or are you factoring in (lower) cost-benefit? When I come to consider a 252 I will of course do a home demo. But many here are making a compelling case for the SC and opening up the possibility I might not move on. I do love the 72, my ears just tell me I’m hearing more space, clarity and ‘open depth’ when I’ve heard the 252.

And so now I need to reread the threads on relative merits of running a DR version of the SC to the 72 or whether it might better suit the SC-2…?

The 72 will in no way make full use of a SC whether DR or not
Surely only makes sense if using it as a stepping stone to the 252

A standard 72 (powered by anything) is not a match for a 252 so don’t be drawn in by us shouting the virtues of it
Note I said “modded” 72 for mine (which I’m not prepared to or allowed to discuss here)

Good luck with your final choice

2 Likes

There’s some truth! Thanks.

Can you match any CB or Olive preamp with a current HicapDR or SupercapDR?

So long as it’s a later dual-rail chrome bumper preamp then yes you can. The earlier single rail pre-amps can also be used but you would need a special order SNAIC 5-4.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.