808’s in the house!

I can comment MJ because I’ve been using my dealers dem pair for several months now.

808’s over SL2’s is fairly straight forward to describe :

SL2’s are super fast and have great tweeters. But the 808’s are almost as quick with a much bigger soundstage, less compression during complex passages, superb integration and superior texture and timber. Bass obviously goes lower and fuller but it remains tight even in a small room. The synergy between the 808’s and the 500 series is obvious. I found the S1 and Chord Music cables also extremely synergistic with 808’s. Sadly all of those components are expensive but worthy if funds permit IMHO.

My dealer told me today that my system is the best that he’s heard and they have a customer base of 5000. It was nice to hear. But just to keep me “grounded” Pete told me yesterday that there’s a guy in the Manchester area with a full “six pack” Statement system. It would be interesting to hear that.

5 Likes

808’s are special speakers Rob. The perfect partner for your system both Musically and Visually in that finish with a Solstice. Enjoy!

2 Likes

What a system!! Absolutely beautiful in every way.
BTW what are the 808s footers on?

1 Like

Those speakers and system look sensational and you’ve obviously done alot to achieve great sound.But it’s always been my understanding that the space between the speakers is best left unoccupied by equipment. Can you explain your rationale? as I’m sure you don’t feel it is any sort of compromise. I don’t want to sound like I’m criticising, I’m just curious as I doubt that you feel it could be bettered by any other layout.

2 Likes

Phenomenal system, can I ask, what is the distance between the 808s back and the wall?

1 Like

350mm Mario.

Fair question Ben

When I renovated this house I owned an Audio Note level 5 system so I “worked” the room around their corner loaded speakers and the limiting dimensions. The four dedicated mains supply sockets are also central to the wall so it was about making the most of what I had when switching over to Naim.

My wife and I plan one more house move before retiring and I will be looking for a slightly larger “hifi” room next time :crossed_fingers:which is anticipated for with the 5m Chord Music speaker cables as per photo.

However and it suprises me as much as anyone this room sounds great! The walls are all two coat plastered over the brick ( not dry lined or stud walls) the ceilings are 9ft and I have a nice blend of things in there that obviously provide good diffusion and absorption where nedeed. Guys like Thomas and PeterR have good understanding of this subject so they could explain it I’m sure. For me I feel the saying “if it aint broke don’t fix it” applies.

ATB

Rob

3 Likes

That is interesting. May I ask what your main decission was to move from Audio Note level 5 to Naim?

Anyway, you must be a very happy person with that kind of set :slight_smile:

Yes vey happy Pylod.

The Audio Note to Naim move was complex and for another thread. But I will say that I got “drawn in” to Audio Note because I was able to buy at below trade ( I lost only 12% when I sold it) and it sounded great within it’s valve sonic limitations. But it was always faulty (seven faults over the last two years) and the company as a whole is not one that I can recommend. The details of which I don’t want to print on an open forum.

With the S1 and Chord Music cables (in particularly) installed I feel that the strengths of the tube sound are almost matched but now I hear much better timing, scale and speed. No regrets.

6 Likes

That is a fabulous set up Rob.

Did you run your SL2s passive or active? I have a pair in maple and they sound great. The only speaker I’d consider changing them for is Kudos Titan but I wouldn’t have room for the 808s. The one aspect of the SL2s that I always feel might be a weak link is the PXO but the expense and box count involved in going active with them always means I end up deciding to leave them as is.

3 Likes

Thanks Dave

I ran the SL2’s passive with a 500. Back in the day I owned a 52/ 2 x 250 active SBL system so I agree that the crossovers are a weak link with both these speakers.

The 808’s work just as well in my small room as the SL2’s did. Although the 2’s roll off in the bass below 60htz I can’t say that the bass was better with them than with the 808’s. Have you tried the Kudos in your room?

Rob

Chord silent mounts probably

1 Like

Sorry yes they are . Good spot :+1:

1 Like

Sorry to be dense, but what would a six pack Statement system comprise? Anyone?

S1 pre amp and 6 x S1 mono power amps . Current retail for that lot is £450k :open_mouth:.

2 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

Rude! :joy: though I am missing the S1 pre and chord cables so shouldn’t be a huge surprise :wink:

Glad to hear the new 808a are to your liking. They will improve a bit over the coming weeks and months. The dem pair you had were what I had from new about 13-14 months ago. I wonder if they are running them in a bit more at the factory now as the first pair sounded dreadful on the first evening, and kept improving for several weeks, but the second pair (again brand new) did not - and the 500 was brand new with the second pair. Maybe the 500 helped of course

1 Like

A dealer is like Casanova who tells every woman he desires that she is the prettiest… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

11 Likes

True :joy:

1 Like

Hi Tim.

I wasn’t expecting the new pair to sound this good from “the off”. You may have worked out the reason for that.

Pete or Ross will no doubt be “waxing lyrical” about the new Chord SignatureX mains cables next time you speak with one of them. I wasn’t that interested in hearing them as I’ve been happy with the very good Powerlines and I’ve spent a lot of money on gear over the past six months. I’m glad that I did though, just saying and yes the S1 is a big upgrade over a 552 as you’d expect. Everything PeterR and co wrote about its virtues are without exaggeration IMHO.

ATB

Rob

2 Likes