82/HC/NAP140/Credo. Second HC now or wait’n’save for SC or 250?

The right decision here is almost certainly a matter of personal taste. I would do nothing, but that’s me.

I felt two hicaps was too much, and also the two hicaps and NAPSC was an unholy mess of cables.

I did not get along with my 82/hc/250. I preferred the 140 with the 82. I felt the energy and prat of the 140 was a nice counterbalance to the smoothness of the 82.

Others have voiced very different opinions than mine. None of us are right. It comes down to what makes the listening enjoyable for you.

3 Likes

Oh OK, wasn’t expecting that, cheers for speaking up. At least Olive prices are fairly constant, so I shouldn’t loose much if I experiment

Naim kit is superb for retaining value. I sold my mint Hicaps for about the same as I paid for them having used them for many years. :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you all so much for your valued help. If I add up the responses, and add in the likes, a very non technical “scores on the doors” shows:

2xHC 10
SC 3
250 8
52 1
XPS 1
Nothing 1

Taking everything into account, I think I will look out for both a HiCap and a NAP250 and see which comes first that fits my spec.

Thanks Again

3 Likes

As a long term 250 user (since 1985…) - and a ‘believer’ in the twin HC solution - you have my support… Good luck in your searches.

As @guinnless says above, whatever you do you are unlikely to loose significantly.

2 Likes

I think if you intend to move to a 52/252 then an SC must be a consideration and worthwhile investment.
Otherwise a second HiCap is the sweet spot IMO for expeniditure to return.

A friend considers the 2nd HC on an 82 is not much of a step up, wheras I disagree, to me its a good step.
Also with a second HC if you have any other Naim sources which can be HC powered, you can see what the improvement that may bring - although your 82 will be only using one HC, it does permit a degree of flexibility.

1 Like

Thanks @NFG, now I just need to convince everyone that they all need to sell their HC’s and 250’s. Perhaps I can spread a rumour that after 20 years of age, they can catch the dreaded C virus and SQ will be suddenly lost!

1 Like

I added a second hc when i had an 82,
And found it a vast improvement.
When going from 2 hc to a sc didn’t seem as vast,
It only made me buy a 52

4 Likes

Think you’ll find plenty of S/H ones about, TomTom for example, check the dates of last service if possible or factor in a service if you can’t verify.

Actually there seems to be a distinct lack of them at the moment, but perhaps need to wait for my rumour to get around, or perhaps things will pick up in January. I will also plan a service after a purchase to give peace of mind

I’m sure it will be worth the wait.

As I think someone said above, you can set up a Search on eBay which will find things for you… :slightly_smiling_face:

You could also contact say, TomTom & Cymbiosis and tell then what you are looking for… :smile:

2 Likes

Many thanks again everyone, I have put the word out. I think I’ve made up my mind, bit the bullet and will wait for either SC or a 250, that way I also save any concerns about matching 2HC’s. Thanks Again

Does anyone know if a 250-2 would be an option, or should I stay with Olive?

For what it’s worth, I’ve just moved from an 82 with 2x HiCaps (with a 250DR) back to just having one HiCap. Admittedly my HiCaps were different ages - though both Olive - but they were serviced together earlier this year at the same time and using the same component batches. In my experience, the 82 just sounded better balanced and a but more ‘airy’ with one HiCap and I liked that. I guess it all comes down to personal taste/music/room etc, but I certainly wouldn’t call a 2nd HiCap a ‘slam dunk’ upgrade.

2 Likes

Hello,
What is your source?
With a 82, an olive recapped 250 would make sense.
I think Credo could support the 250 power.
But it comes on the room’s characteristics too.
A SC could be the second choice in the idea of a future 52 and with 250 at least…
Br

Thanks. Source is mostly NDC XS2 which is still quiet new. SC would be my first choice, although they dont come up that often, and I suppose my impatience is showing through. Others have had a 250 on a Credo, so should be a SQ uplift. I’ve not double checked, but my 250-2 supplier may have the option of a trial-it-first.

1 Like

Stick with olive for the 250, if you decide to get one. I did an olive 250 vs 250-2 comparison once. Olive was easily better. The 250-2 was heavy and ponderous. The olive 250 was light on its feet and more agile. More prat.

2 Likes

The 250 CB is well considering too. I had one which was serviced in 2014 and sounded great. Moved to 135s CB.

1 Like

Again many thanks for all your suggestions. I did find an SC, but when I found out I would need 2 cables also, the cost was getting too high, however the dealer offered me a very good price on a new HiCapDR and a PX on my 20 year old HiCap , which I accepted. It’s still running in, but it is Buzz free and should eventually sound better. It should holds its value, so still leaves future options for a 2nd HC or a SC. In addition, I acquired a NAP 250 Olive which is off to be serviced next week, so fingered crossed, this will be all my big purchases for a while, and looking forward to when the HiCapDR and NAP 250 all meet up, and are run-in. Thank you all

1 Like

HC now, as down payment to part ex for SC when funds allow. but that 140 is a bit of a boa.