A crack from my Rega P8 TT

Hello

This is my first post and I’m here via my ownership of Naim Mu-so and I’m saving for a SN3 which I’m hoping for in late November.

Last year, I decide to upgrade my present day stereo system,starting with a turntable which I didn’t have.

My dealer demoed the Rega Planar 8 TT which I liked a lot,it sounded very good and was simple to setup.

I placed my order for the P8 with Aphete 3 cartridge and Rega Aria phono stage and a few weeks later in October,2020, he delivered the TT and set up for me.

When the dealer was demoing the TT,I was supplying the LPs. He switched it on and left it running even when changing records,it was constantly turning. So, I continued in that fashion. Is that a normal way of operating the TT? Eventually,after a few mishaps dropping records while removing from the rotating TT, I decided to stop it between each side of the record.

However,invariably,ever time I switch off the Neo power supply,there’s a loud crack through the speakers. I contacted my dealer regarding this crack and he told me it was normal for this TT.

Is that so but why does it happen? Is this the reason why he left it constantly running?

I know some forum members own this TT and wondered if they could give me their views?

Regards

Dashing

I leave mine on when changing records. There is never any noise through the speakers when turning the Neo on or off. Try plugging the Neo into a different power socket to the Naim.

I think the reason to leave it constantly running is that the belt will stretch out sooner as there’s a sudden jerk when the (heavy) platter is still and the motor starts turning.

So with a belt drive I think it’s generally better to either keep it running, or at least when you start it, use your hand to get the platter spinning before you turn the motor on. Or both.

2 Likes

Same as HH, I’ve never experienced any noise during the on off of my neo supplied with my P8.
I also change LPs on the fly so to speak.
To say its normal for this TT is not correct.

One does wonder at the stuff dealers are reported as having said. Talk about ducking the issue! Maybe the deck came from Teflon Hi Fi.

2 Likes

I sometimes get a little “plip” when I switch the motor off from the RP10 supply. I know one or two others who get the same thing. It doesn’t bother me though as it’s at a fairly low level and I usually just turn the volume down to minimum anyway at the end of a listening session, just in case.

FWIW, on belt drive turntables I usually give the platter a light push before starting up the motor - that way the belt won’t get unduly stretched starting a heavy platter from rest. IIRC, Thorens decks used to have a neat little clutch for this.

2 Likes

I have yet to develop the knack of doing this, have tried but little success. I stop and start every time.

I site my RP10 as far away from power supplies as possible as right next to one it is really loud. I find that turning off the using the speed button before turning the power off with the button is completely quiet. I keep the TT PSU on the house ring rather than dedicated HiFi radial.

You will get the knack of handling LPs in time. It worth adding that static can cause the mat to lift as well, which with a rotating TT could catch the stylus! I use a Loricraft RCM which deals with that, but I still just lift the LP a fraction to make sure the mat is not lifting/ give it time to come off. You need antistatic sleeves as well.

Just part of the fun

Phil

I have a leather mat on my Rp10, which always stays on the platter when I remove the lp. I let the platter turning continuously and like that process of easy changing the faces.

HH,
Thank you for your comment, the Naim is on the t’other side of the room, so isn’t in the same wall socket. However, your suggestion did get me thinking and put me on the right track.
I had the hifi systems all plug into one of those cheep Tacima “power conditioners “ at £40 from you know where.
I’ve now plugged into a plain vanilla extension and silence, no crack through the speakers.
Bliss. For the first time.
Wonderful.
Dashing

2 Likes

Yes, I’m constantly having to peel off the mat when I lift a record, the mat is well and truly stuck to the LP.
Dashing

Brilliant! Those conditioners are best avoided, as you’ve discovered. You may wish to explain to your dealer that it’s not normal at all! Enjoy the silence, as Depeche Mode said.

3 Likes

If you run the LPs through an RCM then you’ll find that static cling should stop.

I’m another who changes LPs on the fly, so a slip mat like the felt one is essential, but not so much fun if the LP brings the mat along with it!

2 Likes

I have exactly the same as @Richard.Dane with my RP10 - a click through the speakers when turning the PS off. As Richard says it’s no problem - just turn the volume down when powering down.

I put my P8 on when I start using it and off when I stop.

I can’t imagine a need to ever turn it off to change sides on an LP and don’t know anyone who does.

If dropping records when changing them over, you need to work out why.

1 Like

Richard,
Yes, at the present time I don’t have a RCM, one is on my wish list along with the SN3.
I use a carbon fibre brush and I’ve replaced all the papers sleeves.
Dashing

Anti-static sleeves should prevent it from building up again but won’t remove it from a charged LP. A carbon fibre brush won’t do that either (despite what the makers may claim). A wash through an RCM should remove it entirely. Then place in a clean ant-static inner so it stays that way.

1 Like

I leave my P6 running as well.

Also had the issue of the mat coming with and leading to some precarious situations taking off record mid spin.

As mentioned above an RCM and anti static sleeves is the solution. Got a Pro-Ject VC-S2 ALU two weeks ago. Been cleaning records like mad and sleeving in Nagoaka inner sleeves. The clingy record mat issue has been completely solved.

Get the RCM sooner than later. Between risking vinyls drops and the reduced wear on the stylus this could be the higher priority purchase.

Then another thing. The “Rega nudge”. Picked up on that online. The Rega platters being as heavy as they are some have suggested giving the turntable a nudge when starting the motor to help it gather speed. I’ve been doing this since as well. Could be completely nonsense but it made sense to me that it can assist in motor and belt wear.

I’ve found leaving the platter spinning difficult if using a record clamp…

At start up I set the platter rotating, and leave it turning…
There is some knack to not lifting the mat when changing sides…it’s in my muscle memory but is a little like a slight counterclockwise turn of the LP to unstick it from the mat…
At the end of the listening session, if I stop the platter before lifting the record, the mat lifts too.