A dada sound

The reason is most likely that it would be difficult to access in many people’s setups if it was at the back.

There is also reason for Naim writing this in the manual:

1 Like

Noted with thanks

Seems you guys count the sound not a symptom but merely an on/off issues - because of it only last for less than 1 min after long idling time ?

Btw how does one knows that your box is in need of recap instead of it starting to sound exhausted and dead ? I find it as a exhaustive exercise to plug & unplug every single source / connecting cord one by one …

Naim do suggest it by age. In my case I left it quite long at 20 years, and if you look on ebay, there is many a Naim item older that hasn’t been serviced.

It is strange that not all kit has a power button on the front, but it may just be items that must, or can have an external power supply, e.g. Pre-Amps and CD Players. My Streamer doesnt have a power button, even on the back, and it cant have an external power supply either, so another mystery.

2 Likes

@Charteralpha. My comments were to quash your worries about leaving the equipment on all the time, and if fact if you had left it on then you would have heard the noise issue only once! If you keep switching it all off several times then that is probably not helping!

However, you might have a start up interference issue - it is hard to guess without hearing it. If it does disappear in a short space of time then why worry, because you won’t hear it again unless you switch off? Not restarting repeatedly is the thing that will help the equipment work at it’s best.

There is a recapping schedule for naim equipment - perhaps @Richard.Dane can add here?

1 Like

Well, accept that

Hope for the best & bear with the guy from greenfield mate !

Sure

Play by ear

Cheers mate

1 Like

Service schedule is usually 8-10 years although I note that recent Reference kit is quoted at 15 years. Perhaps @NeilS has come across this issue before or might know what the cause is?

3 Likes

CD5i has it only at back as well, Richard IIRC once wrote somewhere why (apart from “leave it on”) but I forgot

1 Like

Yup, encourages you to just leave powered up so it’s fully warmed up and ready to perform at its best whenever you want to use it.

3 Likes

Yes, I leave it ‘on’ the whole day & enjoy my music whenever I’m happy with, hassle free !

True, there is no point to worry why the ‘dada’ sound happened until it turn sour !

Cheers !

The only thing I have seen that’s close to this is minor input instability - usually only a short burst on cold power up & disappears once the input pair transistors have warmed slightly (cured by replacement).
But… only ever heard this as a buzz/hum & probably for less than 5 seconds.
Interesting that it has only started occurring since the system has been relocated. If it has got anything to do with stability, I’d start by checking the input cable dressing - anything that may have changed the cable’s characteristics, coiling, looping, running alongside other cables etc.

Regards
Neil.

5 Likes

I get a ‘dedododo, dedadada’ noise, but only when I play a certain track by The Police.

Anyone else get this?

6 Likes

No, only when playing another famous Trio…

https://open.qobuz.com/track/4354694

2 Likes

Yes, agreed & that’s why I disconnected all source input one by one but not helpful.

I have an experience once when I have my XS2 connected with Hi-cap to 200DR, while I removed all upgrade and play XS2 on its own with a ProAc 10s, I realised a ‘pop pop’ sound from the left channel. The end of day it’s because of the oxide jumper cap caused the issue as I removed same to connect with a hi-cap for long.

So, day one I thought may be the problem of input instability as well.

Anyway, I have my system power up from yesterday & so far no further irregular sound after then

Fingers crossed !

Yes after 2 bottle of whisky
Cheers mate !

1 Like

Sorry - I should have been more clear.
The instability I was referring to is the input of the NAP300, so I mean the XLR input cables.

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

OIC so I should unplug XRL input cable & see ?

I would expect unplugging them to stop the problem, if so, try redressing them.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Roger that

Thanks mate

Whatever you do though, make sure the NAP300 is powered off before disconnecting or connecting the DIN-XLR leafs.

1 Like