A Hi-Line on your new Naim streamer or not?

Also consider the Melco Ethernet cables, not as expensive as the AQ Vodka.

Always look at a certain auction site before paying full retail prices.

I am happily using a Melco Ethernet cable from my Netgear switch into my ND5XS2 (which has got a lot better with good quality power blocks, removal of noisy power line Ethernet, good quality interconnects throughout the system, and a little accessory known as Hugo2)…

1 Like

Thanks T-elmi. The word ‘Vodka’ puts me off for a start, so thanks for your alternative suggestion. As it happens, my supplied Ethernet cables that came with my QNAP are doing a sterling job. I have ordered a Netgear GS105. The Cisco seemed too much of a ‘ball ache’ to me, I shall see and learn. Thank you for your reply.

As long as it has been reset to factory defaults, they are as simple to use as a basic unmanaged switch like the Netgear. They are a little larger if you need to hide them, but potentially, you should just be able to plug it in and use it.

1 Like

Why not just use the Netgear instead?

Cos it’s not as good.

1 Like

In what way?

I wasn’t able to do an AB because of general layout changes but I know my system well enough to notice a more ‘natural’ sound over the next couple of days.I
The Cisco is an expensive bit of kit not built down to a price. Stih disc cutter or B & Q’s own brand? :blush:

1 Like

Ok, thanks for reply. Natural sounds like a very nice word for describing something digital.

The Cisco sounds nicer than the the Netgear. Nicer is a pretty rubbish description but it’s the best I can manage. You really can’t go wrong for fifty quid.

3 Likes

Thanks Nigel. Much appreciated as always.

De rien. (Je suis en France).

2 Likes

After adding a switch and upgrading the Ethernet cables I can now very much appreciate the Hi-Line over the stock interconnect lead. The balance I have now is just there, in a sense where all is now sounding very coherent with the right amount of detail coming through. I haven’t tried the grey/lavender cable since adding the switch and better Ethernet cables but my fear is in doing so, that it may tip the system into being a little bright. I’m not quite ready to find that out just yet as the Hi-Line is just wonderful, I don’t want to disturb anything at present so to speak…

I have plugged the Lavender/ Grey back in and It’s definitely a thinner (squeezed) sound compared with the Hi-Line but not as relaxed or flowing, more open?. I can hear why some may prefer it over the Hi-Line but for me the Hi-line is a more mature sounding cable. I prefer it and can appreciate it’s majesty over the slightly exuberant stock cable.

I can turn the volume up higher with Hi-Line in place.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.