A Love Supreme Goes Platinum

John Coltrane’s A Love Supreme has gone platinum in the U.S it’s his first ever Platinum Disc and to celebrate a special ‘Mastercut’ record is being released. Worldwide 1000 copies only but at £377 or Euros I can’t tell a pop they’re a bit rich for me I think I’ll stick with my Acoustic Sounds copy.

2 Likes

It makes Analogue Sounds UHQR released look positively cheap I wonder how it sounds though?

The Acoustic sounds version sounds good enough for me.

1 Like

Apparently you get a one off lacquer.

So let’s see, you also get a Polaroid photograph, a “How to Caress” info sheet, and a pair of white gloves. Interesting…

Actually in all seriousness, this sounds very much a labour of love and passion, in a similar kind of vein to ERC, so all power to them and I hope it works out well.

2 Likes

Ok. So it’s a lacquer as opposed to a record. I hadn’t realised at first. Presumably lacquers will deteriorate so it’s not really meant for playing but more of a trophy!!
It’s not for me.

Yes agreed and if I could justify it I’d buy a copy.

1 Like

I agree with Fremer. A lot of this makes no sense whatsoever…

Has Fremer actually heard it? He is one of the few reviewers whose opinion I trust as it’s usually spot on so if he’s saying that the process involved makes no sense then I’d tend to agree with him as he knows a whole more about these things than me.

it’s all hypothetical though unless you’re prepared to shell out for one which I suspect some wealthy collectors might it does illustrate how healthy the vinyl industry is though and a great achievement for a Jazz record to go Platinum and almost 60 years after it’s release.

It seems to have got some collectors very hot under the collar but so far numbers 1-10 have pre sold at $600 each and numbers 11 - 25 at $550.

ERC -LP and at least can be played 100s of times
Lacquers will wear out very quickly

There’s a recent Analog planet YouTube video by Michael Fremer. He demonstrates that lacquer lps can sound still wonderful after 17 years.
There’s apparently a controversy with another guy, criticised by Michael. I don’t know what is the problem, didn’t understood.
Interesting to see the mega turntable on the video too.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.