A sensible upgrade?

Currently running a Nova with a 250DR arriving soon.
From there I’m planning to move the Nova on and replace with an NDX2 and 282.
Speakers are Sopra 2.
Anything I should be concerned about? This will exhaust my funds so power supply options will have to wait for a year. Reasonable?

The 282 won’t work without a Hicap, so you will need at least one power supply. Ideally you want an XPS for the streamer too, but you’ll survive without.

Aah. Re-reading the spec I understand that now you’ve clarified. Thank you. Would be helpful for those as intellectually compromised as myself if Naim put it as plainly as you have :laughing:

1 Like

At least the Hicap is relatively cheap to add to your purchase. For people wanting to keep cost and box count down, 282/200DR is a popular option as this will run without a Hicap.
I would also recommend, if you haven’t already done so, that you think now about the number of boxes you will eventually accumulate and buy a suitable rack to hold them all. Naim boxes like a bit of space around them.

NAP200 is a bit on the lightweight side for driving Sopra 2s; yes it can do it, as can the SN, but they are far from ideal.

1 Like

A second hand Flatcap of any vintage will do a passable job on the 282 until funds permit.

1 Like

Thanks chaps. I’ve already got the 250DR. I can stretch to a hicap. Out of interest is the xps not recommended for the 282. The integration of power supplies is a new concept for me to absorb.

No, the 282 uses a Hicap (or Supercap). The XPS and 555 are for streamers and CD players.

1 Like

If you get a pre-loved 282, make sure it comes complete with the little NAPSC.

Thanks NB. I have noted that. Will probably go new. Not sure what the lead time is right now. Or keep an eye out for ex demo, but that would requite some luck I think.

I am not sure what country you are in but ex dem and pre loved 282 do appear here in the UK.

I bought a pre loved 282 from a dealer and eventually traded it in for a pre loved 252 at the same dealer.

I have never experienced any problems with pre loved gear but would recommend you deal with a Naim dealer for such purchases - just an extra level of reassurance that if there are any subsequent problems, they will be sorted.

Also there might be a long wait for a new 282.

1 Like

I’m in the UK. I’ll have a chat with my dealer tomorrow. And keep my eyes open. Thanks for the advice.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.