A/V Receiver for AV Bypass

In June I planned our new home theater. Decided to use all Naim amplification. Anthem processor appeared to be a good balance between performance and cost. 300 for L & R, my old SN2 for center, another SN2 for rear L & R, and two NAP100s for the four Atmos speakers. Unfortunately Naim discontinued the 100.

Buying an AV processor/receiver doesn’t make sense unless you’re doing at least 5.1. A 3 channel configuration is probably only marginally better than 2 channels. For two channels just buy a good quality stand alone dac. I used my old Berkeley Alpha with optical and it sounded great. They can be found $1.5k. This way it’s electrically isolated from the television and is a legitimate hifi product.

Noticed this thread is pretty old so maybe this is no longer relevant.

I’m thinking of just doing a basic $500 marantz receiver, and using it just as a HDMI switcher. I’ll be using it’s dac into av bypass.

Thing is - I don’t care much anymore. Apple TV / AirPlay into NDX is good enough…

apple tv into airplay is resampling everything into 44.1- which is not good for movie soundtracks… I have been trying to avoid this for ages, but I think time has come to look into an AV receiver for my Naim system

let me know what you end up with. Will save me a bunch of research.
I’m just thinking of doing a basic marantz or SR series Sony. What I don’t know is whether the dac improves the more money you pay - or just the ‘wattage’ - which I don’t intend to use.

I am looking into options

There’s choices from
Denon
Marantz
Anthem

But for now just just optical output from my LG oled

There’s no delays or latency issues

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.