A3+/A2 printers

Thanks for your reply; the other factor to be taken into account is that the Pro-1 first came out 8 or 10 years ago, and I suspect the inks won’t be available for much longer.

I agree. A world class photographer friend, Jonathan Chritchley, said to me it’s the difference between reading a musical score and listening to the music being played.

I’ve got a Pixma Pro 9000 mark II - while inks are still available on Amazon, the price of single inks seems to have doubled. A full set seems to cost about the same but as you will know the inks get used at different rates.

The amount of money I’ve spent on many printers/inks just for hobbyist usage is mind-boggling. The A4 general purpose Ecotank I have does not match quality of older printers for photos, but has been great to allow family members to print in virtually any quantity without being worried about ink costs.

I have an Epson 3880, but if I would pick another one, I’ll probably choose Canon because mine has only one head for black mate and black luster. I had some issues with the heads (horizontal bandings) but it could be my fault (I wasn’t dust careful and didn’t use it for a long-time).

It’s and old model, you should probably check the reviews for new models and if you print a lot (really a lot) and goes very big, you should consider the printers that use rolls too (I think the price by photo is cheaper) but they are very imposant.

I will probably get a Canon Prograf 300. What irks me is that the cartridges are smaller and smaller (14ml), but the next one in the range (Prograf 1000) is enormous (32kg…). And also - you just can’t get hold of them at the moment (Covid?).

1 Like

Hi Sam,

Do you need to print A2 format ?

Never tried it - but my Canon dealer tells me that an A2 printer works out cheaper in the long run.

I didn’t know about that, but I prefer A2 printers because the size of the prints are substantially bigger (in my opinion). But you are right, these printers are big, and I had to custom design a shelve for my Epson.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.