Accessing UnitiCore downloads folder

Several recent postings have commented on the difficulty of accessing the downloads folder in the Core music store from a Windows PC over the home network because of a recent update to W10 that disabled SMB.

Is it the case that there is no similar problem with MACs accessing the downloads folder over the network?

Best

David

I don’t see any problems accessing the folder via MacOS. There was a slight issue I think in one particular dot release of MacOS but with latest version of Core firmware and MacOS all seems fine.

I have a new Windows 10 installation. I misspoke the other day when I said I could see my Downloads folder. Unfortunately, I do not see it today. The other folders are plainly visible, Music, Genre, Artists, etc. Now what?

I am taking my computer in to the local Microsoft Store on Wednesday, luckily in my vicinity, and I will ask them to disable the appropriate SMB. Do you know which one to disable? It seems there are at least three, SMBV1, SMBV2, SMBV3. It’d also be helpful to know what exactly is causing Naim and Windows SMB to butt heads.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2696547/how-to-detect-enable-and-disable-smbv1-smbv2-and-smbv3-in-windows-and

I believe recent Microsoft updates disabled SMB and you want to have it re-enabled, not disabled.

Best
David

Okay, it helps to understand the difference!

I wish I understood what Naim is doing that blocks the Downloads folder from view. Do you know if they have an open bug list on this?

So I’m outside my knowledge on this, but I think Naim uses SMB for the Core to talk to the Windows PC, so if SMB is disabled, it doesn’t work anymore. And I believe a recent Windows 10 update did disable SMB. So you need to turn SMB on again in your Windows 10 PC.

On the old forum this was explained by people who understood it, but unfortunately I can’t look back at it yet…

I am awaiting some DVD-R media so I can do an image backup of my new Windows 10 and 7 installations. Then I’ll play with SMB and see what I can learn.

Meanwhile the Downloads folder is perfectly visible in Windows 7. As I recall (though I can no longer entirely trust my memory) a fairly recent Naim release fixed the code that was preventing Windows 7 users from accessing the Downloads folder. Why can’t Naim do the same for Windows 10? I’d rather NOT have to become an expert on SMB. And I don’t see why Naim should expect us to perform the chore of turning SMB on and off every time someone wants to access a Downloads folder.

To enable SMB1:

1. Open Control Panel.
  2. Click on Programs.
  3. Click on Turn Windows features on or off link.
  4. Expand the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support option.
  5. Check the SMB 1.0/CIFS Client option.
  6. Click the OK button.
  7. Click the Restart now button.

Hope this solves the issue for you.

I think it’s SMB 2 she needs…
Best
David

The reason Naim can’t do the same for Windows 10 is because the problem is different. In the Windows 7 case it was a bug in the UnitiCore firmware and that was fixed in the last firmware update. I am sure about this because I swapped postings with the developer and tried new betas one day until it was fixed. This was in the beta forum of course, which none of us can access now, but anyway I remember it well.

In the case of Windows 10, it’s not a bug. Rather it’s that the Core (which is a computer not just a hard drive) needs SMB2 to talk to the Windows PC and Microsoft in their wisdom have decided to turn that off in a recent update. Maybe Naim can change the way that the Core and the Windows 10 PC communicate, but it isn’t just a case of fixing a bug. And it’s not Naim’s fault that Microsoft have taken this approach.
Best
David

Loss of access to the Downloads folder is clearly the fault of Microsoft, but unless Naim can convince Microsoft to reverse their decision, it has become a “bug fix” for Naim. Maybe the fix is for Naim to request Microsoft to reverse its decision! I’d be surprised if Naim would be the only one affected by this.

I use Windows 7,and last year I could not access the downloads folder on my old laptop.After it died last summer I bought a cheap replacement,still using windows 7.At first it wanted to put my downloads in windows media player,and only after my hydro went out for an hour or two did the issue go away.Last time I checked (about a month ago) all was well,but this weekend I noticed the damn thing (downloads folder) is back inside the windows media player again.Do I need to go through the steps that JSAVILLE outlines above,to fix this again?..really frustrating.I don’t know if there was some kind of update automatically done on my laptop,or what is going on.I bought the Core because I am not too good with computers,but it appears that I NEED to be.

Microsoft disabled SMB 1 (and 2?) as it poses a large security risk, with exploits out in the wild. There are alternative ways of accessing shares which Microsoft documented. It took Microsoft a year or so before they disabled SMB 1 by default so application writers had plenty of notice.

As enabling SMB is a simple action I doubt Microsoft will change their policy (and as the risk of malware doing something nasty with it is high), but leave it to the application developers to fix it if their application is broken by the disabling of the service.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.