Ace Records, don’t you just love them?

I certainly do.

I’ve been purchasing ACE records since the mid- 90s, Authentic Excello RnB being the start of my obsession.

Great curation, great sourcing and sound, exceptional music, a national treasure, as my avatar might have said.

.sjb

2 Likes

I love Ace records too. Ever since I got a great sampler with a copy of Hifi News in the late 80s or early 90s. The Ace catalogue was always pored over by yours truly and ended up quite dog eared and pages marked for LPs and CDs that I wanted to get.

1 Like

Okay so what’s your favourite ACE label album?

It’s a tough one and it’s hard to choose just one, but this one did change what I listen to and opened my ears and mind.

.sjb

2 Likes

The Ace guys are extremely passionate about music. Several of them are members of an esoteric Southern Soul forum I belong to. They have truly done the genre an honor by so many of their reissues.

Sloop John - from volume 1 posted above - Jean Wells “Have A Little Mercy” - if that doesn’t get to you then nothing will :laughing:

Best
Gregg

2 Likes

The collections are great (dare I say, “Ace”?) and one of my favourites is the Stax of Funk; The Funky Truth collection CD that I mentioned over on the Funky thread.

However, I do prize the BB King Vintage Years box set…

3 Likes

One of ACE founders, Roger Armstrong, is a good friend of a buddy of mine. I’ve met Roger a couple of times, once at my place where he looked at the stereo and said something like ‘Ha - I might have guessed you’d have the same (naim) amps as our mutual friend! Better put on some blues then… ‘

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.