Achievement Unlocked: Holographic Soundstage

Change your job to organist.

1 Like

I have two daugthers!!! Just imagine! Unfortunately no college fund.

Iā€™m getting the dog further and further right and almost level with my shoulder. But Iā€™m still struggling a bit with that telephone (anyone who has this album will know the one), which some say is the acid test for holographic imaging.

True enough. But the NDS/555PS DR is one of those upgrades that was so good it never gets old, so to speak. Iā€™trying to downgrade the digital source to allocate funds towards an analog front end with little success. Sorry to op for deviating.

1 Like

Why with ā€œ little success ā€œ ? does it mean you tried but couldnā€™t find a better turntable rig for the money, or you are trying hard yet ?

Back in the 70s you could get all this without a record playing.

7 Likes

It means I havenā€™t found a streaming solution that can compare to NDS for a lot less money than NDS/555PS DR (maybe not a shocker). Meaning I canā€™t allocate more of the funds now bound in the NDS towards a turntable and still keep the performance of the NDS. At least not with Chord Qutest or Gold Note DS-10.

With the performance difference I so far have seen I resolutely give up, keep NDS and allocate new funds into turntable.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s trickery used on that album as well, but that effect is quite amazing. I use that track to set up my speakers. The crickets chirp from a good 270 degrees and the opening piano line is far far off to the (right??)

1 Like

Iā€™ll try to hear the dog. I just jump right to Perfect Sense Pt 1.

I know the album well just bedding in my ATC SCM40 speakers need to revisit album regarding telephone :slightly_smiling_face: got me thinking there. The dog is down the street but not just level with my right shoulder :thinking:

Reminds me of that telephone ringing in Led Zep. I got the squeaky b/d pedal (easy), but the 'phone has escaped me thus far!

Didnā€™t need QSound for the buses going by in a certain classical recording (forget which) either, lol.

And imagine if Roger Waters had produced The Trinity Sessions!

1 Like

It is tough, Iā€™m getting closer and closer to that particular audio nirvana moment.

For something significantly less dreary, also recorded in QSound, try The Immaculate Collection ā€œ by Madonna. The Thunderstorm at the start of ā€œRescue Meā€ is a good test.

Wait until you add the clockā€¦what a game changer imho.

1 Like

You mean it will wake you up in the morning too!

2 Likes

I understand the urge, the impulse, but this is ā€¦

And tube trains beneath recorded on classical recordings at Kingsway Hall in London - part of the ambience (but rather different from holographic recording).

2 Likes

Thanks for tip going to buy the album using certain tracks and effects can really help with speaker placement

Thereā€™s a track where the voice comes from my back left wall. Itā€™s later on through the album. I need to revisit it since my last upgrades.

1 Like

I was once listening to a pre-war Decca 78 set when I could faintly here a familiar sound. Took a while to realise it was a tube train! Presumably the orchestra had been recorded in the Kingsway hall and in that era they didnā€™t think anyone would hear it.

My favourite holographic listen is the ā€˜Wish you were hereā€™ album in SQ quadraphonic. Just wish I had a less scratched copy!

3 Likes

Covid pretty much screwed her chances for Princeton. At best sheā€™s going to Brown. Recommended she consider taking up a trade.

1 Like