Active Olive SBLs disappoint

Whenever I’ve done any work on my system I always intend to re-install it with perfect cable dressing. I think it all out first, what will go where, but somehow it never seems to quite work out and I get fed up and just don’t bother beyond a certain point. Also at my age crawling around on the floor behind racks, twisting, turning and stretching is getting more and more uncomfortable and something I’m beginning to dread doing. I have to agree with Gary - life’s too short.

4 Likes

I suspect I will fall into that camp too after another 15, maybe 20 years. :sweat_smile:

WRUB ( whatever rocks your boat ) and makes each of us happiest.

So, having spent the afternoon rebuilding the system using as many of the suggestions as possible, it’s all back together.
I had to move some boxes around to get cables in the best possible places.
The SNAIC has been replaced & the NAC A5 has been beaten into submission - Mrs L not approving of the use of her hairdryer!
One issue is the length of DIN>XLR cable - if I place the 135s on the right they’re not long enough to reach the SNAXO - so I did the best I could :wink:

So, for those that like this sort of thing, this is the new cable arrangement…

And this is the front view…

Importantly it appears to have sorted the balance issue. Now everything is properly centred.
And from my initial listen it does appear to have returned to boogie!
It’s early days, since I know from experience this system takes a while to come back on song after being messed about.

I have plans in place to service the 135s, SC & SNAXO next month.

Then its on to “Project Support” - considering either 2nd hand Fraim or new SimRak - but first have to pass the living room desirability test. Not holding my breath on that!

Thanks all for your help & suggestions.

I’ll update on any changes/improvements etc

Have a great rest of the weekend

11 Likes

The cables in back look better. The system looks awesome from the front. Glad it sounds good now!

3 Likes

Sure, but what the hell is perfect cable dressing? Aucostically optimised or just tidy?

Is it anecdotal knowledge passed down of the forum over the years or is there specific Naim guidance on such matters? If so either it was lacking or my dealer didn’t tell me during the last 20-30 years…

:sunglasses: :fist_right:t3:

Beautiful system, Sir. Enjoy! Patience is the mother of all sonic adjustments.

Trying to help you as you have a serious active Naim system and the goal is to make it sing and swing without abandon.

If you can, physically distance the power cords away from all signal cables including the speaker cables.

I am sorry to be honest but your right SBL is in direct and full sonic violation being placed into such a tight corner next to a wall, or perhaps I hope I saw this wrongly. At least 2 to 3 ft (even more) from the side walls will open up your sound so much more.

Enjoy your gradual adjustments especially after the very proper Fraims arrive.

The 52 is a very sensitive component and if due for a service, should be a priority when you send your components in. It’s still an excellent preamp for the money and will decide how your system will sing.

@PhilP
Thanks for the feedback.
The SBLs are equidistant from the corners of the room - the picture had to be taken at an angle to get everything in!

1 Like

Yes, everything else has already been serviced this year - this is just the latest purchases!
No need to apologies - feedback always helpful

1 Like

One problem I have with Fraim and some other racks is that the plate of spaghetti you appear to have accidentally spilt behind it is highly visible. Could you get that past your “living room desirability test”?

1 Like

@Lerxxst The Hiline is sensitive to contact with other cables, is it clear of all other cables?

@ChrisSU - agree totally, 4 135s create LOTS of cables & without a "cabinet’ of some sort to hide it all then domestic harmony is strained to say the least.
Unfortunately at present the HIFI is in the living room beneath/between the TV so compromise is always an issue.
I’ve searched the inter web for an “audiophile” cabinet without success.
May need to to build an extension :joy:

1 Like

My ideal would be to have the hifi in a separate room or cupboard. Just drill a hole in the wall for the speaker cables. With streaing all you need in the room is a pair of speakers and a wifi signal.

You won’t find it unfortunately that will better the Fraims at the price. I have been looking at suitable alternatives for my set-up… to no avail for the Naim sound I’m after. It’s one of the idiosyncrasies of Naim. The micropony will get to your active set-up and wreck havoc. There are isolation platforms but they don’t necessarily work with Naim components. Strange phenomena. But worth a try! To explore. Someone here has tried a Thixar platform beneath the 552DR (head unit) on a Fraim and I didn’t perceive any loss in the sonic quality. But I would have liked to do an A-B directly with Naim glass. Only way to tell more accurately.

This approach was mooted by Malcolm Steward in one of his articles which rung bells in my mind at that time and made sense… Perhaps we could get away with placing Naim equipment on a sturdy cabinet in another room or compartment which will mitigate some external vibration, but this unfortunately still doesn’t address microphony effectively - which brings us to anti-vibration platforms that often improve some but unfortunately detract just as well, if not more. Usually it’s the swing factor and a discernible loss of vitality and life in the sound.

Indeed, this is exactly my setup. All I can see is a pair of speakers.
I have no need to worry about
a) the position of the volume pot.
b) logos of different brightness
c) bulb gone on the 250
:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I believe JV also suggested this when confronted by someone complaining about transformer hum.

1 Like

IIRC, @pauls had holes through the wall so the power supplies could live in the kitchen.

1 Like

The things we go through for our hi-fi, sound and music… lol

But I absolutely love the look of Naim equipment…! I will compromise, Richard… the mere suggestion of such an endeavour will have me crucified by the home Queen and dumped into the river together with all equipment for even thinking of usurping any space in that part of home territory -her territory… :sweat_smile: :scream:… no way Sir… I will have to be prepared for a war worse than the one presently raging in the world.

In hindsight there’s also thankfully no way in which I’d subject any Naim component I own to the oil fumes and aromas of any kitchen. They are too much treasure. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

It may have been the dining room, I can’t recall exactly. I think they were in a dresser or some such cabinet, but Paul could probably clarify.

1 Like

Still the King.