Active SL2 system: Which speaker for better NAP power

No axe to grind or anything really and just saying my view on it all.
I had sbls for many years in both passive and active and enjoyed them.
I just think running active these days is not worth the expense and hassle and thats my view.

There sure is something really special about the 552DR/500DR combination Peter. Due to expecting my somewhat premature demise (now apparently not so likely), and not wanting to lumber my dearly beloved with a heap of back boxes to get shot of, I reverted to a passive system with my DBLs. Out went two 500DRs, modified 362 crossover, DR SuperCap, a complete Fraim stack, plus reams of assorted cabling. It was all quite liberating!

I’d flirted with the idea of passive a few years before, thinking I could adapt to the lesser sound after a week or two, but after a day or so I really didn’t like the result so back to active. however, this time round, even from the off it sounded, well, pretty good. But then it should do of course. OK, I’ve lost some detail, speed, maybe presence, but I do seem to have gained boogy (for want of a better word). The upshot is, I don’t miss the system’s previous incarnation. Really.

Of course, the major difference now is the DR mods to both amp and preamp. The 552 was first to get the DR treatment, with a worthwhile upgrade in sound quality, but the biggy is definitely the way DR trasforms the 500 - it really is a completely different beast.

7 Likes

I will very much agree with you Tony, that the whole DR technology has done wonders for our black boxes.
I’m chuffed you are feeling better in yourself now, as age slowly creeps up on us, we just have to accept ‘ to keep taking the tablets’. ATB Peter

4 Likes

Glad you are feeling better Tony, soon be spring, and get the top down on the Porsche convertible👍

4 Likes

Glad your demise is less likely Tony. From that perspective active/passive arguments seem pretty inconsequential.

3 Likes

I’d say try to stay active yourself as long as you manage to. Thats at least what I wish you.

3 Likes

Your passives system sounded superb Tony. Can still hear that base from that Led Zep track via your LP12/552/500/DBLs. :ok_hand:t5: Good to hear your feeling better too. :+1:t5:

1 Like

Which track RackKit? :face_with_monocle: ATB Peter

Excellent news!

1 Like

Pretty sure it was ‘Good Times, Bad Times’ frim Led Zeppelin 1.

2 Likes

*from.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the info and the invite. Very generous and I might be passing sometime when I’m going back up to Glasgow.

Ewen.

1 Like

Hi Tim, if you part ex’d or sold your other amps and crossover bits to buy Nap 500 I wouldn’t think it would be much of an extra outlay especially if you got Ex Demo or second hand.

Like the other guy suggested you could always have a home demo 500 from the shop in Chester first :grin:

I think Dunc was referring to the Passive crossovers that come with SBL’s and SL2’s and NOT the Snaxo boxes.

Happy with what I have - if a pair of active 300s is good enough for Naim’s Jason, who am I to argue?

1 Like

Yep he was.

1 Like

Well I would have to agree with you as I find it hard to imagine how you could possibly improve on your system and that was before your recent new upgrades.

1 Like

Yes i was, sorry if that wasn’t obvious

Sorry Dunc and DaveEngland once I’d read on in the post it was made obvious/clearer.

@TimOopNorth

As always I’ll be coming over your way in June for the North West Audio Show which is on the 20th and 21s of June.

I would be very interested to come over again if possible to listen to your new upgrades and catch up.

I’d be free on either Friday 19th PM or Monday the 22nd anytime, let me know if you have any availability for a demo?