Add a dac to NDX?

Ok… things to try… ensure Hugo 1 set to level turquoise, and if you can try a Naim Hiline (RCA to DIN)… that tends to bring out the sound Naim style with a Naim like bounce… albeit a touch forward which usually works well with engagement.
It is more agile but less bass heavy than the NDAC, but it can throw its weight in to music if it’s there and really boogie rather nimbly, but won’t pound a bass riff like the ndac/555PS … it should never sound clinical however… as essentially the Hugo1 is quite rounded with slightly curtailed edges to the audio bandwidth extremes… . so you are unlikely to get much in the way slam or thunderous bass… so some orchestral pieces can lack a bit of depth, or very extended highs… but rock is one of its sweet spots… as that is often about timing, layers and regular musical bass frequencies, where the natural lower mid warmth of the Hugo1 tends to work well. The later Hugo’s loose this warmth and are more neutral.

Also the SPDIF lead makes a difference… the Naim DC1 adds weight and a bit of punch … not sure why but it does in my experience. Certainly I found with those considerations it was more engaging, detailed, driving and punchier than the NDX DAC which can sound too filtered and in distinct by comparison… especially into a 252 and 552.

1 Like

Thanks for the prompt and complete reply, I’m really enjoying what it brings and hopefully with a change to the cables everything with come together. I’m setup in turquoise, but plenty of space for improvement with the cables. Much appreciated.

Good luck… it’s a cracking DAC… even though I have a Dave now… I still keep my prized Hugo 1

2 Likes

I’m sure there’s a dreadful schoolboy joke in there somewhere, but I just can’t put my finger on it!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.