Adding a NAP 200/250 to my Supernait 1

How did the 202 fare in your trials?

Have to disagree with that generality. Thinking the SN3/NDX2/555 suffers due to low box count would be a mistake. IMHO so would be striking out and buying an 82 and CB kit, which if not done recently certainly needs significant refurbishment by an authorized service center. Few among us new to the brand want to or frankly should start in with kit that is at least 20 years old. Not really sure what the allure is for that short of extended listening and a true preference for that particular era’s sound.

1 Like

It finally came down to SN1/HC vs 202/200/HC/NAPSC and I found it hard to choose between them. The pre/power set had a lovely airy sound but the SuperNait was more full bodied. I still remember listening to a recording of a choir singing in a cathedral. On the 202 setup, the individual singers were clearer than the SN. It felt like I was hearing things from the perspective of the conductor. The SN1 gave me more of the cathedral acoustic. That was how I would have expected it to sound as a member of the audience.

In the end I opted for the SN/HC but could easily have lived with the other set. A few years later I’d moved to 272/XPSDR/250DR and that gave me the best of both worlds.

Roger

1 Like

It’s a great system you have Ian. Ignore those who say the CB and Olive aren’t up to the new boxes. Once serviced they are 90% there.

So I went for 135s because I listen to my music loud and the 250 used to keep cutting out due to overheating. The 135s have fans, more power and maybe 10% improvement in terms of separation, soundstage and dynamics.

The 250CB was fantastic. And if I didn’t listen to music louder, would have left it as it was then.

For everyone out there, the CB and Olive, once serviced is damned good kit. Don’t dismiss it. It’s good value and looks amazing. It blends well with the modern boxes.

Am I saying it’s better than newer classic units? NO. But likewise don’t dismiss without listening. I have created a sublime system with a complete mixture of CB, Olive and current classic Naim components. Old and New meet in harmony!

4 Likes

I’m not sure the sound has changed that much. If you take a 250CB vs 250 Olive vs 250.2 I am not sure the sound changed that much. 250DR improved dynamics and detail but pretty much still a 250. Older units with service sound damned good. Obviously I have what I have so perhaps I am being defensive. New DR kit is fantastic of course. Anyway, we all make our choices and I decided on a hybrid system to reduce costs and get the best sound on a budget. And I am not disappointed. Enjoy the music flowing from our wonderful systems. We are all privileged!

3 Likes

I would have to disagree. My cb set of hc, 32.5 and 250 are all recently serviced and looks the dogs. Still the 250-2 has a better sound. The earlier gear is all very good but I found that as you go later, the improvement becomes noticeable but at a price. Now that cb kit has increased so much in price over the last two years particularly, the earlier classic kit is becoming increasingly attractive value for money.

1 Like

Everything I have is fully serviced, on schedule. I just had my pre-loved, 30 year old Linn Lingo done, too.

I cannot be trying hard enough, because I have never made my CB (converted to Olive) 250 cut out, by playing too loud, for too long… :sweat_smile:

Fully concur, with your last paragraph. Even the ‘looks’ - I have a mix of both Olive & Black units - are fine in my book… :grin:

1 Like

I’ve done the same as you, all serviced including Lingo 1. Various LP12 upgrades Kore, Cirkus, tonearm rebuilt by Audio Origami. All sounds amazing.

2 Likes

Moving to a Kore is on my Wish List. My LP12 is a lot older than yours - although I could claim it to be the latest thing, as it has a Fluted Plinth…!!

No Fraim for me, either - just Isoblue… :thinking:

1 Like

My LP12 is over 30 years old. It’s black plinth which has been rubbed down and revarnished. Hardboard base. Was valhalla, original akito arm. It looks newer because it has Kore, new lid and been revarnished. Platter all cleaned up so it looks modern.

Isoblue is lovely and always wanted fluted plinth! Perhaps you could send some pics of your system.

We have comparable systems!

1 Like

My Linn is from 1981. Fluted Afromosia was standard then… Pre-dated Valhalla (just). That was added later a bit later - and was only removed this year…!
It has had an original Ittok on it since 1982. Which has had almost every version of the DV10X in it.
Original smoked lid. Here it is…

Thats a 1991 Lingo Mk1 underneath - not long re-capped at Class A.

2 Likes

Wait, is that a walkman wm-d6c on the shelf!? :wink:

Err… on top of the Rega Ear…? Could be… :grin:

HiFi Clickbait…

2 Likes

Dan, I am not seeing 3 power supplies
Xpsdr, supercap 2, and 555ps
I might be getting senile but the boxes don’t all add up
What is that non Naim box on right rack? The one below the Lingo.
David

I don’t have a vinyl setup at the mo, but when I had my TD 160 I had a GSP Reflex M and it was superb for the cost. I know that I will have to get another TT at some point because I still have about 300 albums in good condition. Probably a P8/10 with apheta or such. If it’s an MM tho, I’ll be getting another Reflex M.

David, it’s a non Naim PS. I am not allowed to discuss this on the forum. Dan

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.