Adding a sub

Sorry?

1 Like

I of course bow to any scientific or technical knowledge but my only interest is how it sounds.
Hmmmm!
I have moved the REL tx/5 all around the room,even had it on the settee next to me,fiddled with knobs turn up a bit turn down,switch off then on.
It works well with symphonic music and really puts some bottom into Beethoven. Night Tracks on BBC radio 3 sounds quite fulsome.
With my chosen pleasure of modern jazz it works not so well,over emphasising the walking bass line and if that is reduced you loose the small fullness of sound I was looking for.
Andy/Signals will pop in on Friday to see how I have gotten on during the week.

1 Like

I found REW immensely useful in setting up a sub - I started with the room simulation to work out some positions where the response was likely to be most even and one of those was clost to where the time delay in the sub itself (4ms for my sub) would be countered by it being about 1.25m closer to my listening position - hence the sound for the mains taking 3.7ms longer to reach me - about the same a s th time delay through the sub! This wau both signals are in alignment.

I then used REW to check the volume from the sub and the minimum phase plot through the crossover region, whilst making minor adjustments in position to optimise the sound. Result - even bass and good timing: a well integrated bass response in a relatively small room. I couldn’t have got such a good response adjusting it completely ‘by ear’ (I know this, I tried that before using REW).

1 Like

Found that, Roomeqwizard.
I will have a read this afternoon and fiddle further.
Thank you.

I’ve added a Kef KC62 to my SN3/HCDR, speakers LS50 Meta’s, really pleased with the result but certainly took some experimentation to get the settings right.

Whilst the frequency range of speakers can be useful think more important to focus on the in room frequency response as a guide for where the sub LPF needs to cut off/meet the main speakers.

Kef recommended about 60Hz crossover when I contacted them, which is about right in my environment.

They can reveal stuff that you weren’t hearing before, particularly say on piano , other resonances etc, foot pedals etc becoming more pronounced in their physical impact.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.