Adding an xps2 to ndx2 or ndac?

Here are the lab report by Hificritic on the Nds, after review.
Can someone tell how the results compare vs Ndx2 and Nd5xs2 ?

Looks very good. Not as good as the diagram for the ND555 of Hifi News, much better than for the NDX2. They didnā€™t have a diagram for the ND5XS2, just the single value

Of course this is all about digital jitter at the digital output and says nothing about the analog out

1 Like

I suppose the only thing to conclude from this thread then - Donā€™t bother with the NDX 2, itā€™s the lemon from their trio of streamers. Itā€™s noisy. All one really gains is a noisy screen, a plastic remote control that no one really likes, and an option to upgrade with a XPS DR, which also makes hardly any difference at all. So to conclude here then - sell the NDX 2, donā€™t bother with a XPS DR (yet another over priced dead duck), just buy a ND5 XS 2, and an obsolete or third party DAC, or get a 555DR PSU for the obsolete DAC. Donā€™t even think about a ND555 eitherā€¦

All sorted!:grinning:

4 Likes

Almost right, you only need a non-DR 555PS :wink:

4 Likes

Not at all. What it does show is that if you are going to use the digital out and not the built-in DAC, the ND5XS2 is all you need (but anyone with their senses intact always new)

Other than that, itā€™s simply intriguing what is going on because it makes no sense

Thatā€™s one view :joy: orā€¦ dismiss the review altogether and carry on enjoying your NDX2 in whatever configuration takes your fancy (bare, avec PS or as a transport).

After all, any ā€˜noiseā€™ is negligible and most middle aged ears wonā€™t hear it anyway!

1 Like

Iā€™ve heard all three streamers through a 500 Series system. The bare NDX 2 is miles better than the ND5 XS 2 - this n-DAC must be Jesus the bloody messiah :flushed:

But you probably listened to the analog output. This is not what these jitter measurements are about, they were taken at the digital out.

And Hifi News still considered the jitter measurement of the NDX2 as ā€œexcellentā€. Just that the ND555 and surprisingly the ND5XS2 were an order of magnitude better. Itā€™s simply interesting why, I donā€™t know why you seem to be so against that.

2 Likes

I think my senses are still intact, but even though I only use digital out, I bought the NDX2. It just gave me other options for the future if I wanted to go a different route.

As you say though, the ND5XS2 is perfect in the digital source role, a slimline, discreet box.

1 Like

I donā€™t care for measurements, unless iā€™m building a house. With HiFi i go with what my ears tell me.

3 Likes

What you want and what you need are different things :slight_smile: Iā€™m just thinking about threads like a recent one about buying an ND555 just to use itā€™s digital out.

1 Like

Itā€™s still interesting to some people and doesnā€™t hurt you. Some people are interested in how their car works and some are not. So what

Agree with this when using analogue out. The difference was pretty small when using digital out into an nDac (bare), but I went with the NDX2 for less boxes, less power cables, less other cables and better build quality. XPS has uplifted the sq now too, will scratch the DR itch at some point Iā€™m sure. I donā€™t even think it comes down to money as second-hand the ND5XS2/nDac is bout Ā£1k less than an NDX2, but if youā€™re gonna need another Fraim shelf, PowerLine and a digital cable, that difference reduces dramatically. As usual, you pays your money!

2 Likes

Yes maybe for the tech heads, but itā€™s of no use to the OP, whoā€™s trying to decide what path to take, and one that we would all hope is based on performance, integrity and longevity.

Nothing to do with you downgrading thenā€¦:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well if the measurement is correct and representative, and Iā€™m not at all convinced that it is, it does show that if you intend to use only the digital out (and donā€™t need the screen etc.) you are probably better off with the ND5XS2.

(Itā€™s such a pity that Hifi News didnā€™t ask Naim when they measured these numbers)

3 Likes

NDX 2 on itā€™s own isnā€™t that much more than a ND5 XS 2 IMHO, and iā€™ve had both.

From " isnā€™t that much more than " to " miles better than Nd5xs2 " .

Has the Ndx2 suddenly run in after several years in the last two days :rofl:?

2 Likes

No. I was basing my opinion from my system with a HiCap DRā€™ed SN3. With a 500 Series system into top of the line Focals the difference in quality was much more evident, but yes i agree, it does sound rather contradictory from my part. :face_with_peeking_eye::melting_face:

1 Like

Only joking Stephen. Always respect your opinion on here.

I tried to get a demo of the Chord DAC on my Nd5xs2 but my Naim obsessed dealer put hurdles in my way and stopped me . Oh well all I was daring to do was try another option.

The Ndx2 of course remains very much in my upgrade plans when funds allow, along with the Chord DAC.

1 Like

The weak link in my system is by far the SN3. Should i take it even further? Only time will tell i guessā€¦At the moment however, itā€™s just fantastic. Iā€™m in no rush.

2 Likes