Adding dac to N-272

I own a great N-272 pre/streamer.
I really love this product because of its ease of operation and convenience.
I would like to add a high end DAC and take it’s performance to a higher level.
(No interest in adding an XPS at this stage)

Is it possible to take the digital side (Spotify/iradio) from the digital out on the back of the 272 into a separate DAC, then from the off board DAC back into the N-272’s analogue preamp?

Cheers.

I haven’t done what you describe but I am currently using the 272 as a preamp. I run cdx2 and hdx into a Naim NDAC and the analogue din output from the NDAC into the analogue din input of the 272. I find it does make a difference. I use mine with 555DR on 272 and 555 non DR on the NDAC. I know you aren’t interested in the power supply upgrade at this time and I respect that but in my opinion the extra power supply on the 272 does make quite a difference to my ears, using the 272 internal dac or an external one. The 272 is a great piece of kit with every part upgraded by an XPS or a 555.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it can’t be done. It has been asked before in previous posts.

1 Like

By all accounts a 555ps would give your system a significant uplift

1 Like

You could use the 272 as a digital source to an external DAC or use the 272 as a pre-amp for an external DAC. The design of the 272 doesn’t allow you to use it in the way you want it with an external DAC as you can’t, for example, stream music from Tidal and at the same time select an analogue input.

1 Like

Many “high end” DACs come with streaming capabilities these days. So you could simply use the 272 as preamp. I rather doubt that’s the most effective way of using your 272, though. I agree that adding a PS is likely to give you more bang for your buck. Or hold your horses and see if a 272 successor appears in the spring.

Roger

1 Like

Thanks guys,

I’m disappointed, but i’ll arrange a home demo of an XPS.
I just couldn’t afford a 555ps, even second hand!

Thanks again.

Looking at what you’re aiming for, you would be using the streaming section and preamp of the 272. I’m not sure that the streaming part of the 272 is it’s greatest strength, particularly if you want to listen to a streaming service such as Qobuz. If you went for a streaming DAC or your DAC of choice with separate up-to-date streaming bridge, you’d only be duplicating that streaming section of the 272. And with care I reckon you could do this with high quality for less than the cost of a XPSDR. Perhaps worth thinking about.

Roger

1 Like

You can get a decent s/h 555PS for around £2400 if you shop around. I found a non-DR 555PS to be a marked improvement on the XPS when I used them on a CDX2…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.